Slow charging on USB 3.0 cable

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I am going to take my cable from my G2 wall charger and use it with my new authentic Verizon car charger to see if that is an the culprit. Maybe it's our car socket regulating?

See my last reply above. My Anker charger works with OEM cord, so it's not the 12V outlet. There are national standards for these outlets, so every car outlet [should] have the same output, unless noted otherwise on the outlet our user manual. Whose to say if they actually do / still do.

Tapped from my G2

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Did the cable switch. Used my cable that came with the phone on my new Verizon model car charger (square like, red square light) in the open USB slot.I did not get the slow charge alert. Plugged into the coiled cord from same car charger, get slow charge warning.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Did the cable switch. Used my cable that came with the phone on my new Verizon model car charger (square like, red square light) in the open USB slot.I did not get the slow charge alert. Plugged into the coiled cord from same car charger, get slow charge warning.

Yeah, I'm thinking its either the gauge of the power wires aren't big enough in other chargers, or there's some BS chip in the LG wire

Tapped from my G2

KeepItReal

Reaction score
I am now usinng an older LG wall charger that also gives the slow charge. It is a direct connect (non-USB cable) that has a slim wire. I think it says 26 awg. Also used another charger (no brand indicated on charger, but it does have an LED glowing light...which I like) that also says 26 awg, but the G2 said to avoid damage, unplug! I think the cable that came with the phone said 28 awg.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Now using an older USB Motorola wall charger socket, with a white who knows thick round cable, which just says awn no rating, and 30v on cable. Not slow charging now, but when I left cable in and unplug from wall and plugged back it (the cable still in the phone) it then said show charging. Unplugged cable from phone, put back in, no warning of slow charge.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Well car charger experiment failed as well. Used cable that came with phone in the USB spare port slot, and it just gave me slow charge all the way home. Clueless now.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Well car charger experiment failed as well. Used cable that came with phone in the USB spare port slot, and it just gave me slow charge all the way home. Clueless now.

Have you been able to get any car chargers to work? Although most cars typically have the same output at the outlet, it's not uncommon for them to have low output.

Tapped from my G2

KeepItReal

Reaction score
This cable was plugged into the USB slot of the new Verizon Car Charger.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
What charger was it? Was it at least 1800mAh output?

Tapped from my G2

comk4ver

Reaction score
Check out what I received from Asurion via their replacement policy.
epetujev.jpg
anejy6u9.jpg
Idk about any information on the wire but it came with the power block.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Donna BB

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 8gb
Twitter
DonnaBB01
In the storage box in my cars center console, there is a standard 12V outlet. Months ago, I ran a USB 2.0 cable from it, under the center console, and out the dash just under my receiver. It's convenient access to a charger for GPS without a mess of wires over the slush box. I used a 6ft USB>MicroUSB cable from Monoprice. The power came from a 2A Anker dual USB car charger. Obviously, once I got my G2, the USB 2.0 cable wasn't going to cut it. I would get the slow charging notification. So I decided to replace the 2.0 cable with a 6ft 3.0 cable, also from Monoprice. Before I got the new cable, I simply took the OEM LG USB cable and plugged it into the Anker charger. It worked perfectly. So come today, I received the new USB 3.0 cable and went to install it. They did not have a USB>MicroUSB available in 3.0, so I'm using the 6ft Monoprice cable plus the LG cable in series. When I do this, I get the slow charging notification. Any idea why? A USB 3.0 cable should work perfectly, shouldn't it?

Tapped from my G2
Hi,

I have a perfect solution for your all electronic devices in your car. Please have a look at this.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Try plugging the short Monoprice cable directly into the power source for testing. It sounds like the connection point for the extension cable is the problem. Many splices/extensions have a voltage drop or resistance increase. If your short cable works great, you'll need a longer one piece cable. USB power does not like extensions.

Donna BB

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 8gb
Twitter
DonnaBB01
Try plugging the short Monoprice cable directly into the power source for testing. It sounds like the connection point for the extension cable is the problem. Many splices/extensions have a voltage drop or resistance increase. If your short cable works great, you'll need a longer one piece cable. USB power does not like extensions.
Do you think this will resolve this problem? If the problem still continue after this then what should be done?

wcjeep

Reaction score
Only suggesting trouble shoot each piece at a time. I have tried to charge USB with an extension. Doesn't work great. A single cable is usually best.