Are all USB to Micro USb cables equal?

voyageurs60

Reaction score
Ok - I know this sound like a strange question. Waiting for my Droid X to be delivered, from experience my usage will require more than 1 micro USB cable.
One of many online stores I purchase from regularly has a 2 pack of 6' micro USB cables for 3.99 (labor day special).

All cables should comply with an international standard. I should be able to use any micro USB cable and charger (wall or car) with this. My understanding is that the charging voltage for micro USB is standard - amperage may vary...

Why does the one bloke in the review say the cable will not charge his phone? Does this make sense?

6 Feet Micro USB Data cable for new Cell Phones, USB 2.0 Type A Male to Micro-USB Type B cable - Meritline.com

Thanks for the discussion - Dan

frederick001

Reaction score
Motorola phones are notorious for being finicky with charges. I'm not surprised to find some generic micro USB cables not working. I also have the DX.

I bought a 5 pack of micro USB converters (from mini USB) to plug into my existing mini USB cables/chargers from various old phones, mainly HTC & Motorola. None of the HTC ones work & even some of the Motorola ones (from razr or Q) don't work either.

cygnusloop

Reaction score
No. They are not all created equal. While in some cases, "any old USB cable" will work fine, for charging the best choice is one that is labeled 28/24 AWG. The thicker 24 gauge wire is for the power wires in the cable. Also, for use with a car charger in particular, one with a ferrite core (that little barrel type thing near one end) can help reduce interference with the radio. Here is a link to a 3 ft version from monoprice (please, everyone, save some $$ and buy all your cables there). It fits the bill perfectly, and costs a whole $1.19/+ship. There are of course longer and shorter ones available.

Last edited:

Slothead

Reaction score
Hey Dan,
I can't answer your question - yet, but I noticed that you are waiting for your X to be delivered. I too am in that same boat and am told by Fedex that it will arrive at my house next Wednesday. Is that the same schedule as yours? If so, have you gotten any info on which OS it will have when it arrives? My Droid 1 just got updated a second time with 2.2 (bug correction I suppose), so I am hoping that the same fix will allow them to ship with 2.2 in the X also.

Ok - I know this sound like a strange question. Waiting for my Droid X to be delivered, from experience my usage will require more than 1 micro USB cable.
One of many online stores I purchase from regularly has a 2 pack of 6' micro USB cables for 3.99 (labor day special).

All cables should comply with an international standard. I should be able to use any micro USB cable and charger (wall or car) with this. My understanding is that the charging voltage for micro USB is standard - amperage may vary...

Why does the one bloke in the review say the cable will not charge his phone? Does this make sense?

6 Feet Micro USB Data cable for new Cell Phones, USB 2.0 Type A Male to Micro-USB Type B cable - Meritline.com

Thanks for the discussion - Dan

dkst0426

Reaction score
I just received an order of 2 cables from this place on eBay: case_for_less

Ran down my battery yesterday evening and then charged it with the new cable, and it took about the same time. Left the phone on overnight, and the charge is holding well.

kennyc

Reaction score
Hey Dan,
I can't answer your question - yet, but I noticed that you are waiting for your X to be delivered. I too am in that same boat and am told by Fedex that it will arrive at my house next Wednesday. Is that the same schedule as yours? If so, have you gotten any info on which OS it will have when it arrives? My Droid 1 just got updated a second time with 2.2 (bug correction I suppose), so I am hoping that the same fix will allow them to ship with 2.2 in the X also.

Mine is due on Tues 9/7. I'm kinda pissed as it was shipped "overnight" and actually picked up on Friday....so how the h*ll does overnight = four days! Sheesh!

I'm wondering about the O/S version as well...