Extended micro USB and micro HDMI cables for Bionic lapdock

DoctorV

Reaction score
I wanted to create a topic to help find the cheapest working set of extended micro USB and micro HDMI cables for Bionic lapdock. The reason for this is that most of us have a case on our Bionics and it's a pain to keep having to take it on and off (especially my Otterbox commuter case) when you want to dock your Bionic to the lapdock without having to make any destructive modifications to it. So the solution appears to be extension cables that will connect from the Bionic to the lapdock.

For the cables to work both ends have to be micro and one end has to be male and the other end must be female.

Here is a couple of micro USB cables I have found:

1ft $12.45 after shipping Micro USB Extension Cable - 12inches - RR-MCB-EXT-12G5 | eBay

6ft $10.95 after shipping Amazon.com: 6ft USB Micro-B Male/Female Extension Cable Manhattan 307420: Computers & Accessories

Now the biggest pain has been trying to find a proper micro HDMI cable. I keep finding HDMI cables that are micro on one end and then regular sized HDMI on the other end. And to throw another wrench into the works it seems that there is no standard term for the type of HDMI connection I'm looking for. Some places call it a "micro HDMI" end and others call it a "mini HDMI" end. The cheapest one I could find was on ebay from a seller in Hong Kong:

1ft $16.99 free shipping HDMI 1.4 D type Micro HDMI Male to Micro HDMI Female M/F Extension Cable 30cm | eBay

At almost $30 total it seems a bit excessive. Can anyone else find these cables cheaper?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a good thread as this might work for those who have the RAZR and can get the Bionic Lapdock.

ncridgerunner

Reaction score
OP
DoctorV

DoctorV

Reaction score

The adapter is the wrong type of adapter that has a USB Type B connection on the other side so it won't work:
http://images2.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/81812.jpg

For the HDMI connection neither of those items have a micro HDMI female connection to connect to the lapdock. :(

TatDroid

Reaction score
DoctorV said:
Now the biggest pain has been trying to find a proper micro HDMI cable. I keep finding HDMI cables that are micro on one end and then regular sized HDMI on the other end. And to throw another wrench into the works it seems that there is no standard term for the type of HDMI connection I'm looking for. Some places call it a "micro HDMI" end and others call it a "mini HDMI" end.

I'm pretty sure that mini HDMI and micro HDMI are two different sizes. Most phones use micro HDMI. My Transformer tablet uses the, much harder to find, mini HDMI.

OP
DoctorV

DoctorV

Reaction score

Nice score on the HDMI cable! I looks like it's the same exact cable from the exact same seller from my link only $5 cheaper. That micro USB cable looks like it will work great but my only concern is if when it's plugged in the orientation of the cable might block the micro HDMI port on the phone. However I would be shocked if it was designed that way.

I'm pretty sure that mini HDMI and micro HDMI are two different sizes. Most phones use micro HDMI. My Transformer tablet uses the, much harder to find, mini HDMI.

I learned something today. You are completely correct.
What's the difference between mini and micro-HDMI?

Looks like we definitely need micro HDMI.

smacyo137

Reaction score
Has anyone done this successfully? i bought this Motorola ATRIX 4G Upgrade Kit - $28.99 but for some reason it doesnt work
i did however use a file to shave the plastic down so i can use my razr with it but wish I had cables that worked, anyone find an extension that worked?

gsbjackson

Reaction score
Doc - Did these work???

Nice score on the HDMI cable! I looks like it's the same exact cable from the exact same seller from my link only $5 cheaper. That micro USB cable looks like it will work great but my only concern is if when it's plugged in the orientation of the cable might block the micro HDMI port on the phone. However I would be shocked if it was designed that way.

I learned something today. You are completely correct.
What's the difference between mini and micro-HDMI?

Looks like we definitely need micro HDMI.

OP
DoctorV

DoctorV

Reaction score
Doc - Did these work???

Wow I forgot to tell everyone! Yes they worked!! The HDMI cable I got from Honk Kong took over two weeks to get to me. I finally got it Wednesday. Both cables were able to fit next to each other perfectly fine when plugged in at both ends. I've been really busy lately so I only had enough time to plug them in and test out the functionality for about 10 minutes. One of the cables (I think it was the USB?) that connects to the lapdock wasn't as tight as I'd like it to be; there was a teeny tiny amount of wiggle room on the connection. It didn't affect the connection when I was testing it but I'd like to test it further to see if would cause any issues when moving the lapdock around. I'll let everyone know which cable it was for sure when I test it out further this weekend.

For the record the USB cable I got was this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-E...s-RR-MCB-EXT-12G5-/220604868180#ht_1432wt_963

And the HDMI cable I got was this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Feet-HDMI...es_Adapters&hash=item416612cecb#ht_1149wt_963

Last edited:

bionicfarrier

Reaction score
Thank you for posting the link for these two cables. I had a Bionic that Verizon replaced with a Razor Maxx, and I also have a Bionic Lapdock that's not worth much without cables to use it with the Razr. I ordered the cables from ebay tonight.

OP
DoctorV

DoctorV

Reaction score
Thank you for posting the link for these two cables. I had a Bionic that Verizon replaced with a Razor Maxx, and I also have a Bionic Lapdock that's not worth much without cables to use it with the Razr. I ordered the cables from ebay tonight.

You're welcome. I has some more time to test them out and I haven't had any issues with them. It was the HDMI cable that had some wiggle to it but it still stays connected firmly and I haven't any issues with it. Overall I think it was worth the money for the convenience. It will be interesting to see if it will work with the Razr. Keep us posted.

dlcramer

Reaction score
If your looking for cables I use cablewholesale.com. Got a 15 foot hdmi to mini for 12 bucks. Dont remember what the usb cost me but I got a 9 foot i think.

harrylukes

Reaction score
I have gone through the discussion, using extension cables would be the best solution. It's very difficult take of and on. I usually go for quality cables at cheaper rates. I buy cables at cmple they have good quality collection of various cables.