Slow charging on USB 3.0 cable

Big Ry

Reaction score
In the storage box in my cars center console, there is a standard 12V outlet. Months ago, I ran a USB 2.0 cable from it, under the center console, and out the dash just under my receiver. It's convenient access to a charger for GPS without a mess of wires over the slush box. I used a 6ft USB>MicroUSB cable from Monoprice. The power came from a 2A Anker dual USB car charger. Obviously, once I got my G2, the USB 2.0 cable wasn't going to cut it. I would get the slow charging notification. So I decided to replace the 2.0 cable with a 6ft 3.0 cable, also from Monoprice. Before I got the new cable, I simply took the OEM LG USB cable and plugged it into the Anker charger. It worked perfectly. So come today, I received the new USB 3.0 cable and went to install it. They did not have a USB>MicroUSB available in 3.0, so I'm using the 6ft Monoprice cable plus the LG cable in series. When I do this, I get the slow charging notification. Any idea why? A USB 3.0 cable should work perfectly, shouldn't it?

Tapped from my G2

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I should also note that I'm having the same issue with my home charger. I bought a 3ft USB 3.0 cable from Monoprice to use in series with the OEM LG wall charger and USB cable. I get the slow charging notification when I put the Monoprice cable in between the LG wall unit and USB cable. Obviously, it charges fast without the extension.

Tapped from my G2

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's a good question but unfortunately pinouts differ between some of the charging cables that come with the phones and OEM cables. USB 3 would be the way to go but may still not work. Just a WAG.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
That's a good question but unfortunately pinouts differ between some of the charging cables that come with the phones and OEM cables. USB 3 would be the way to go but may still now work. Just a WAG.

What's a WAG?

Yeah, I don't get it. I also tried a third USB 3.0 cable extension for my work charger...no dice. I still get the slow charging notification.

If it helps, my 3.0 cable has the following printed on the jacket:

USB 3.0 Cable E119932-T AWM 20276 80°C 30V VW-1 COPARTNER

The OEM charger cable jacket reads:
E324069 AWM STYLE 20851 80°C 30V VW-1 28AWGXIPR+20AWG --- AWM I A/B 80°C 30V FT1 -LF- -HF- NON-PVC TECHTRON

Tapped from my G2

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
The only thing I know about various cables is that some phones can be very picky as to what cable works well. I have has some problems using numerous aftermarket cables on some phones. I don't that you can be certain that a particular cable will work until you get it and try it.
WAG is "Wild A** Guess". Usually Leeshors WAGs are right on...but then again WAG can mean "Wives and Girlfriends" so maybe it's those that are right on for Leeshor.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
The only thing I know about various cables is that some phones can be very picky as to what cable works well. I have has some problems using numerous aftermarket cables on some phones. I don't that you can be certain that a particular cable will work until you get it and try it.
WAG is "Wild A** Guess". Usually Leeshors WAGs are right on...but then again WAG can mean "Wives and Girlfriends" so maybe it's those that are right on for Leeshor.

Lol ok well I don't have a wife or girlfriend

After doing a little googling, it appears that my cord likely only has 28awg power wires (because gauge isn't advertised). However, I've read many threads where people say other OEM chargers work at fast charge, such as the Palm pre and BlackBerry playbook. But then I've seen other people in the same threads saying that those same chargers don't work for them. Hell, I've seen a couple people say the LG charger provided gives them slow charge! Apparently the snapdragon 800 essentially has a window of acceptable specs. If your charger is underpowered or overpowered, it will not work. Considering my Anker charger works with the LG cord, I can only assume that a) my Monoprice cord is inadequate, probably need 24-20awg power wires, or b) there's some kind of chip in these cords (and other OEM cords) that allows the fast charge.

Tapped from my G2

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
That cable does sound like it "should" work but again, pinouts are not the same for some phone specific cables. And yes, a WAG is close to a SWAG which is a scientific wild *** guess. :icon_ lala:

KeepItReal

Reaction score
My new car charger from Verizon gives me a slow charge warning in my car. Sad part is, it's really slow...lol. When I drive 45 minutes, it barely gives me a 1/4 green bar charge. The Verizon car charger had the red square glow around charge base, and a light at the Ian
USB tip, with a spare USB skirt for second cable. The only charger that that does not gives a slow charge is the wall charger that came with the LG G2.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
This is seriously a straight up scam. If it were just a matter of not getting "quick charge", then yes it could be understandable for them to require an OEM charger for that feature. But when "slow charging" takes 24 hours to charge your phone, that's intentional. That's the OEM screwing the customers.

Hell, I would pay for LG chargers, but those morons only make their cords like 2ft long.

Tapped from my G2

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I hate to say it but I have always been a big fan of the authentic OEM chargers. A lot of the inexpensive ones come from China and are pure dog poop.

As far as USB 3 cables, I thought the only advantage to them was higher data rates, and no advantage to faster charging. From what I can garner from your posts, it sounds like the problem is more related to the cable than your phone. Just my WAG. ;-)

David

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I totally agree David. The ASUS Transformer tablets originally came with a very shot cable and a USB 3 extension was the only way to get a longer cable that would work but even some of the other tablets have special charge cables and no other cable will work correctly, same for the chargers. The ASUS tablet chargers output 15v which causes a really fast charge but other chargers vary either in voltage or amperage, (some, not all). 5v was a standard, but maybe not so much any more.

The only way to be certain you will get the speed you need is to use a charger from the manufacturer. All bets are off on the quality of most OEM chargers unless it's one of the well recognized companies.

sos567656765

Reaction score
I may very well be missing something here but how exactly are you using a usb3 cable with the G2?

devdeuce

Reaction score
I'm not really sure if this is really what you are talking about or not, but i bought a cheap car charger, like $4, off Amazon. I think it's 2.1 amp. It works fine, even while using navigation and it's certainly not made by manufacturer.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
I am going to take my cable from my G2 wall charger and use it with my new authentic Verizon car charger to see if that is an the culprit. Maybe it's our car socket regulating?

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I hate to say it but I have always been a big fan of the authentic OEM chargers. A lot of the inexpensive ones come from China and are pure dog poop.

As far as USB 3 cables, I thought the only advantage to them was higher data rates, and no advantage to faster charging. From what I can garner from your posts, it sounds like the problem is more related to the cable than your phone. Just my WAG. ;-)

David

I agree with you, but $30 charger or $3 charger, what's your choice? If it's crap, buy 3.

I wasn't sure on the charging abilities of usb 3, but I'd have a better data cable if needed. Its like an 80 cent price difference lol

I may very well be missing something here but how exactly are you using a usb3 cable with the G2?

Using USB 3.0 A male to A female extension

In car: Anker 12V charger > USB 3.0 extension > LG USB to MicroUSB

In house: LG wall charger > USB 3.0 extension > LG USB to MicroUSB

I'm not really sure if this is really what you are talking about or not, but i bought a cheap car charger, like $4, off Amazon. I think it's 2.1 amp. It works fine, even while using navigation and it's certainly not made by manufacturer.
My Anker car charger is 2A, and it works perfectly with the LG cord. The issue arises when I stick the USB 3.0 extension in between the two. You may have bought a charger with larger gauge power wires (despite being so cheap), or maybe it's all a fluke since I've found so many contradictory accounts of working chargers.

Tapped from my G2