Skype Mobile for Android - 3 Major Tips - Video Review

calpilot7

Reaction score
Skype mobile is TOTALLY worthless garbage. The whole point of SKYPE mobile for Verizon's CDMA network would have been to enable customers traveling abroad in other countries to USE THEIR FREAKING PHONES TO MAKE FREAKING CALLS using WIFI since the phone is a BRICK absent wifi when taken to Canada, Mexico....Europe....etc etc. The nerve of Verizon and Skype to have the application disable your wifi is DISGUSTING. WORTHLESS application that serves to only duplicate what Google voice already does. Hopefully Google will get Gizmo on wifi operational. If this happens Skype is going to fade into the netscape realm distant memory. It's a shame because Verizon and Skype could have really kicked some butt. Skype mobile for Android SUCKS!!!!

kiwiguy

Reaction score
If you are trying to make VOIP calls over Wi-Fi then try Wingbee (available in the Market). I have been using it for the past 2 weeks - and am finding it works pretty well.

I wrote up detailed step-by-step instructions on how to use it here.

The only annoyance with it is that it constantly runs in the background and shows a popup screen every time you use the phone dialer asking if you want to connect the call over VOIP or Verizon - so it is one more step to make a call.

Last edited:

nb2a

Reaction score
If you are trying to make VOIP calls over Wi-Fi then try Wingbee (available in the Market). I have been using it for the past 2 weeks - and am finding it works pretty well.

The only annoyance with it is that it constantly runs in the background and shows a popup screen every time you use the phone dialer asking if you want to connect the call over VOIP or Verizon - so it is one more step to make a call.

Seems to have no info as to how its sets up.Thanks for the info you provided.

nb2a

Reaction score

Seems to have no info as to how its sets up.Thanks for the info you provided.

Hope that helps for android installs
http://www.web3tel.com/downloads/WingBeeForAndroidOSPro.pdf

xandor

Reaction score
I can't download it, I keep getting messages that skype is not available for my phone and I'm using dolphin.

ajh2k

Reaction score
i'm a new droid user and am trying to decide on an IM client. My wife also has a droid, and i'm leaning toward skype for droid to droid IMing. Any reason not to, or any vastly better IM clients? (I'm aware of the no wifi issue)

OP
myz06vette

myz06vette

Reaction score
i'm a new droid user and am trying to decide on an IM client. My wife also has a droid, and i'm leaning toward skype for droid to droid IMing. Any reason not to, or any vastly better IM clients? (I'm aware of the no wifi issue)

I'd try Meebo first. Not only does it support wifi, but any IM service known to man. Well, almost anyway. I'd say Meebo is about as good as it gets for IM on the Droid.

ajh2k

Reaction score

I'd try Meebo first. Not only does it support wifi, but any IM service known to man. Well, almost anyway. I'd say Meebo is about as good as it gets for IM on the Droid.

Thank you. I understand that Skype to Skype IMing does not count toward data usage. I did not get the unlimited data plan, but we won't be chatting like crazy anyway. Really just to communicate quick messages, vs getting a phone call in the middle of the work day, so it wouldn't count much toward data usage. Given that, I'll probably try Meebo out.

Parafly9

Reaction score
Why use skype if you have Google Voice? I am using google voice because I added my GV number to my verizon favorite 10 so All calls I make or recieve with GV are unlimited. As far as International Calling Google Voice does this too. In your video I noticed a significan't lag between each party, I know This would be very frustrating esp during a phone conversation.

My business # is is a skype #. Right now it forwards to my phone. But it would be nice to keep them fully separte, plus sometimes I get audio issues when people call my 800# that rings to my Skype number that forwards to my Google Voice number that sendst he call to my Verizon #.

lol.

Parafly9

Reaction score

Google Talk......

philslc

Reaction score
Skype Mobile installed OK and I can make Skype to Skype calls to my Droid but, when I try to make a Skype call from my Droid, it gets rejected.

PhilB

owlclaw

Reaction score
I'm a Droid newbie...trying to figure out how to call home to US from Europe. W/ Skype Mobile, does one disable 3G and use the wi-fi feature to use the Skype interface? If I'm calling a US landline from Europe, do I need to purchase credits in advance?
thanks,

njftw

Reaction score
Why can you not send text messages to phones via Skype?

Skype Mobile for the DROID really does suck bad... why would they make this program such ****, seriously???

bllarkin

Reaction score
I'm a Droid newbie...trying to figure out how to call home to US from Europe. W/ Skype Mobile, does one disable 3G and use the wi-fi feature to use the Skype interface? If I'm calling a US landline from Europe, do I need to purchase credits in advance?
thanks,

You won't be able to use Skype Mobile on a Droid in Europe unless you have CDMA coverage, because the version that Verizon released only works on 3G, it won't work on wifi at all.