Skype Mobile for Android - 3 Major Tips - Video Review

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by myz06vette, Mar 25, 2010.

1. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

Skype Mobile was just released today and I wanted to post some information on what I've discovered. I've also uploading a video review and demo of it to YouTube as I'm typing this.. will update this post with that link once its up.

Tip #1:
    If you tried signing in at any point since the app was launched and got an error or sign in loop, try again - should be good to go by now. It can also make a difference if you're trying to create a new Skype account through the app or if you have one already. If you don't, download the Skype desktop client and create your account that way - avoid trying to create one on the Droid app.

Tip #2:
    Once you're signed in, press Menu and go to Settings - check the box to make Skype sign in automatically. This will make the app remember your password so you don't have to type it in every time. And since Verizon is CDMA and doesn't support simultaneous voice and data, any phone call you make or receive will sign you out. And typing your password over and over gets annoying fast.

Tip #3:
    I use Google Voice for all my calls - so any call I make first routes through Google's servers by way of a specific access number. As you'll see in my video review (when its finished uploading), I'm not able to complete an outgoing call through Skype - and it wasn't until after I finished the video that it dawned on me that dialing through Google Voice's access number is almost certainly the culprit to this problem. So this could be a problem for many of you heavy Skype users who also use GV. You'll have to change your Google Voice setting to prompt you on every outgoing call whether or not to actually dial through GV. And that almost seems like more trouble than its worth. If you've got Friends and Family on your plan, set one of the 10 numbers to the Goolge Voice access number (NOT your GV number) and you have unlimited free outgoing calls to any number anyway - not just skype-to-skype.

----
    Also, its a no-brainer that if you want to leave Skype running in the background to accept incoming calls, you need to exclude it from any task killer programs you have installed.

Video:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  2. bodean

bodean New Member

Video doesn't work.
  3. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

Obviously. It must not have finished processing yet, even though in my control panel it says its Live. Check back on it in a bit.
  4. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

Video works now. Check it out.
  5. Parafly9

Parafly9 New Member

Question: How do I get my skypeIN number to work? I tried calling it and it doesn't ring on my phone.
  6. Durkan

Durkan New Member

Yeah it wont work with it, this is why the app is fail...
  7. tehpriest

tehpriest New Member

Won't he be unhappy that his contact numbers are being broadcast on Youtube :icon_eek:
  8. Parafly9

Parafly9 New Member

well that sucks, that basically makes the app useless unless all your buddies use SKype on their computers.
  9. nb2a

nb2a New Member

typical verizon greed no wifi!
  10. y0manda

y0manda New Member

Why use skype if you have Google Voice? I am using google voice because I added my GV number to my verizon favorite 10 so All calls I make or recieve with GV are unlimited. As far as International Calling Google Voice does this too. In your video I noticed a significan't lag between each party, I know This would be very frustrating esp during a phone conversation.
  11. brock

brock New Member

do you understand how the program works?
  12. nb2a

nb2a New Member

I understand no wifi and you must use verizon to carry out the calls

So what don't you understand?
  13. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

Just want to clarify - you don't have unlimited incoming calls with GV when using it with your friends and family. Just unlimited outgoing calls through the access number. Unless of course you use another one of your 10 spots and add your actual GV number, then disable incoming caller ID and let it default to just showing your actual GV number, in which case you would. You just wouldn't have any idea who was ever calling.
  14. snowman

snowman Member

Thats just what I was thinking what good is it if it does not do wi-fi, =useless
  15. shoba

shoba New Member

So if I was to skype call a friend that was on my list but international would it be free or would I have to purchase credit? Or is it like talkin in a chat?
  16. calpilot7

calpilot7 New Member

Skype mobile is TOTALLY worthless garbage. The whole point of SKYPE mobile for Verizon's CDMA network would have been to enable customers traveling abroad in other countries to USE THEIR FREAKING PHONES TO MAKE FREAKING CALLS using WIFI since the phone is a BRICK absent wifi when taken to Canada, Mexico....Europe....etc etc. The nerve of Verizon and Skype to have the application disable your wifi is DISGUSTING. WORTHLESS application that serves to only duplicate what Google voice already does. Hopefully Google will get Gizmo on wifi operational. If this happens Skype is going to fade into the netscape realm distant memory. It's a shame because Verizon and Skype could have really kicked some butt. Skype mobile for Android SUCKS!!!!
  17. nb2a

nb2a New Member

I guess you work for Verizon hence why you are so annoyed at my comment saying skype is useless without Wifi!:icon_ banana:
  18. kiwiguy

kiwiguy Member

If you are trying to make VOIP calls over Wi-Fi then try Wingbee (available in the Market). I have been using it for the past 2 weeks - and am finding it works pretty well.

I wrote up detailed step-by-step instructions on how to use it here.

The only annoyance with it is that it constantly runs in the background and shows a popup screen every time you use the phone dialer asking if you want to connect the call over VOIP or Verizon - so it is one more step to make a call.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  19. nb2a

nb2a New Member

Seems to have no info as to how its sets up.Thanks for the info you provided.
  20. nb2a

nb2a New Member

Hope that helps for android installs
    http://www.web3tel.com/downloads/WingBeeForAndroidOSPro.pdf
Search tags for this page
android app to record skype video
android skype tips
droid incredible skype with iphone trouble
how come skype doesnt ring android
how to delete skype chat history on android
record skype video android
record skype video on android phone