Skype Mobile for Android - 3 Major Tips - Video Review

myz06vette

Reaction score
Skype Mobile was just released today and I wanted to post some information on what I've discovered. I've also uploading a video review and demo of it to YouTube as I'm typing this.. will update this post with that link once its up.

Tip #1:
If you tried signing in at any point since the app was launched and got an error or sign in loop, try again - should be good to go by now. It can also make a difference if you're trying to create a new Skype account through the app or if you have one already. If you don't, download the Skype desktop client and create your account that way - avoid trying to create one on the Droid app.

Tip #2:
Once you're signed in, press Menu and go to Settings - check the box to make Skype sign in automatically. This will make the app remember your password so you don't have to type it in every time. And since Verizon is CDMA and doesn't support simultaneous voice and data, any phone call you make or receive will sign you out. And typing your password over and over gets annoying fast.

Tip #3:
I use Google Voice for all my calls - so any call I make first routes through Google's servers by way of a specific access number. As you'll see in my video review (when its finished uploading), I'm not able to complete an outgoing call through Skype - and it wasn't until after I finished the video that it dawned on me that dialing through Google Voice's access number is almost certainly the culprit to this problem. So this could be a problem for many of you heavy Skype users who also use GV. You'll have to change your Google Voice setting to prompt you on every outgoing call whether or not to actually dial through GV. And that almost seems like more trouble than its worth. If you've got Friends and Family on your plan, set one of the 10 numbers to the Goolge Voice access number (NOT your GV number) and you have unlimited free outgoing calls to any number anyway - not just skype-to-skype.

----
Also, its a no-brainer that if you want to leave Skype running in the background to accept incoming calls, you need to exclude it from any task killer programs you have installed.

Video:

[video=youtube;p3p167LdRDU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3p167LdRDU[/video]

Last edited:
OP
myz06vette

myz06vette

Reaction score
Obviously. It must not have finished processing yet, even though in my control panel it says its Live. Check back on it in a bit.

Parafly9

Reaction score
Question: How do I get my skypeIN number to work? I tried calling it and it doesn't ring on my phone.

Durkan

Reaction score
Yeah it wont work with it, this is why the app is fail...

tehpriest

Reaction score
Won't he be unhappy that his contact numbers are being broadcast on Youtube :icon_eek:

Parafly9

Reaction score
well that sucks, that basically makes the app useless unless all your buddies use SKype on their computers.

y0manda

Reaction score
Why use skype if you have Google Voice? I am using google voice because I added my GV number to my verizon favorite 10 so All calls I make or recieve with GV are unlimited. As far as International Calling Google Voice does this too. In your video I noticed a significan't lag between each party, I know This would be very frustrating esp during a phone conversation.

OP
myz06vette

myz06vette

Reaction score
Why use skype if you have Google Voice? I am using google voice because I added my GV number to my verizon favorite 10 so All calls I make or recieve with GV are unlimited. As far as International Calling Google Voice does this too. In your video I noticed a significan't lag between each party, I know This would be very frustrating esp during a phone conversation.

Just want to clarify - you don't have unlimited incoming calls with GV when using it with your friends and family. Just unlimited outgoing calls through the access number. Unless of course you use another one of your 10 spots and add your actual GV number, then disable incoming caller ID and let it default to just showing your actual GV number, in which case you would. You just wouldn't have any idea who was ever calling.

snowman

Reaction score
Thats just what I was thinking what good is it if it does not do wi-fi, =useless

shoba

Reaction score
So if I was to skype call a friend that was on my list but international would it be free or would I have to purchase credit? Or is it like talkin in a chat?