SKYPE in Europe

blakebritton

Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Europe in two weeks and I was wondering if I would be able to use Skype on my Droid X IF I were only using wi-fi. I know that the phone itself isn't compatible there.

SGTiger

Reaction score
As long as you're not using the Verizon version which doesn't allow wifi. Grab the other version of Skype that is floating around these forums and you'll be able to use wifi just fine.

SGTiger

Reaction score
so it doesn't matter where in the world you are if you are placing a wifi to phone call?

No not as long as there is no firewall that restricts certain websites. For example, you know the Chinese government tries to block content to a certain degree though I doubt skype servers would be blocked.

If you are going to only place calls back to the US of A or Canada, skype offers a subscription that allows you make unlimited calls for one low price. I pay $9 for three months of unlimited calling ($3 per month). Hard to beat that. I got that deal on Oct 7th, and I don't know how much it is now.

I cannot reiterate enough. If skype came with your phone, then it has wifi disabled. You must get the wifi version and install it.

Last edited: