Skype for Verizon = Useless

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
I just re-installed Fring. Fring lets you make Skype calls over WiFi for free on the Droid! Where there is a will, there is a way.

Wrong...using fring and trying to then use skype you think its not using your minutes but its gotta use your phone to connect to the numbers still unless you are using sipdroid or sipgate and gizmo5. If you want to really test if its free turn on airplane mode so it turns off the cell towers, than go turn on your wifi and try making a phone call with fring it will tell you to turn on your cell tower connection since it needs a number to connect to as google voice does as well, if you want TRUE free calling looking into using Google Voice w/ Sipdroid and Gizmo5 and you can truely make free phone calls without touching verizons network. :icon_ banana:

Hey Dragonfly, I hate to say it, but your wrong this time... I just tried this (airplane mode, turn on wifi then use fling to make skypeout call) and it worked perfectly.

Well done :) lol, every once in a while even the best of us are mistaken and corrected hence the use of the forum :) Good to know that fring works like that as well. Too bad skype is slackin

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only glass is half full person here.

I see the opportunities, not the failures.

This gives me the opportunity to use HQ voice with other skype users, without burning my minutes. YMMV, but the voice quality for me over Fring was atrocious.

Did you folks seriously think that Verizon was going to bring out supported skype without an angle? It was a calculated business decision, and a good one. For me, the opportunity is fantastic. For others, there are unsupported clients.

Pick your poison and stick with it.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
I guess I'm the only glass is half full person here.

I see the opportunities, not the failures.

This gives me the opportunity to use HQ voice with other skype users, without burning my minutes. YMMV, but the voice quality for me over Fring was atrocious.

Did you folks seriously think that Verizon was going to bring out supported skype without an angle? It was a calculated business decision, and a good one. For me, the opportunity is fantastic. For others, there are unsupported clients.

Pick your poison and stick with it.

Well said adrynalyne... the feature of talking with other skype users for free is great, once again if you have people that are skype users or if you convince them to get skype if they arent already on your network. personally i only use 58 mins a month lol on my voice plan and that includes verizon to verizon, since most the the time they are short calls or i just text everyone instead of picking up the phone much faster than making a phone call unless its about a topic that is more than 160 characters ;)

Helmut

Reaction score
It is what it is I guess, for me this is perfect I have a friend overseas and now we can chat while Im away from the computer.

One question I have; Is it possible to add a skype number to a contact in the address book (similar to the way the N900 handles this)? It would be great if it were integrated so one wouldn't have to open the app to make a call.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I am able to add skype data to my contacts.

atlharry

Reaction score
People will always want something for nothing. Go live on a deserted island.

Whats wrong with wanting something for free?

BTW, When are you going to donate to support this board, or do you want to get it for free? :icon_eek:

HAHA! Touche! However, I do have to dispute your 'inconsistency' argument. I'm very consistent. Access to this forum is free (and was designed that way for good reason). They have other ways of earning revenue. Therefore, I use it... for free. Actually, if I were to click on a banner ad (and I have), I would be adding to their revenue. If it were different and i saw the need, I would pay for it and access it that way. I wouldn't try to hack in and get it for free.

You think an application sucks for not allowing you to circumvent Verizon's minute limitation. Verizon allowed the app and they can do with it as they please because the alternative would mean lost revenue. Now if Verizon started playing ads in the middle of my conversations we'd have a different story altogether.

You want free wifi calling that doesn't go against your minutes? Sign up for the monthly fee that would no doubt accompany that feature.

gerngaus

Reaction score
Bummer on wifi - I am going to be in Uganda for a few weeks this summer and was hoping to be able to call home and office via wifi and skype - there is no way to get a cell signal on my Droid.

ldimick

Reaction score
People will always want something for nothing. Go live on a deserted island.

BTW, When are you going to donate to support this board, or do you want to get it for free? :icon_eek:

HAHA! Touche! However, I do have to dispute your 'inconsistency' argument. I'm very consistent. Access to this forum is free (and was designed that way for good reason). They have other ways of earning revenue. Therefore, I use it... for free. Actually, if I were to click on a banner ad (and I have), I would be adding to their revenue. If it were different and i saw the need, I would pay for it and access it that way. I wouldn't try to hack in and get it for free.

You think an application sucks for not allowing you to circumvent Verizon's minute limitation. Verizon allowed the app and they can do with it as they please because the alternative would mean lost revenue. Now if Verizon started playing ads in the middle of my conversations we'd have a different story altogether.

You want free wifi calling that doesn't go against your minutes? Sign up for the monthly fee that would no doubt accompany that feature.

I don't think we'll ever get away from the fees. VZW will simply require us to have both. Ultimately all phones will be data only and use VoIP. Much more efficient and less expensive. Then the argument that you can't talk on the phone and surf simultaneously becomes invalid.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Bummer on wifi - I am going to be in Uganda for a few weeks this summer and was hoping to be able to call home and office via wifi and skype - there is no way to get a cell signal on my Droid.

Gerngaus you can always just do the gizmo5/sipdroid/google voice way that i had stated earlier on in this posting that I keep posting about when you are on vacation so long as there is wifi you will be able to make phone calls no problem that way and no charge to your phone.

here are the steps again for anyone that missed them way earlier in the posting:
How To: Free Calls via Wifi (using Google Voice & Gizmo5) - Android Forums

Hope this helps.

atlharry

Reaction score

I don't think we'll ever get away from the fees. VZW will simply require us to have both. Ultimately all phones will be data only and use VoIP. Much more efficient and less expensive. Then the argument that you can't talk on the phone and surf simultaneously becomes invalid.

Actually, the argument becomes invalid as soon as they roll out LTE. I hope that happens AFTER my new every 2 is up on the droid... I don't wanna be envious... :(

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
I can't grumble about any of this... I guess I'm the perfect candidate for this app... now I can call all my friends on the east coast when they're logged in on their skype and all it uses is my minutes?? Perfect!!... I got hundreds of leftover minutes every month anywayand now I gots a reason to use them...

Rasjudah

Reaction score
This is BS I just checked my minutes after using skype to skype to call a friend and it actually shows that i am using my plan minutes!!!!!!!!!!! This does not sound right :icon_eek: i mean whats the purpose of this then? Please someone else do a minute check after using skype to skype .

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
This is BS I just checked my minutes after using skype to skype to call a friend and it actually shows that i am using my plan minutes!!!!!!!!!!! This does not sound right :icon_eek: i mean whats the purpose of this then? Please someone else do a minute check after using skype to skype .

Doesnt sound right to me. Will check later if noone else does b4 i do.

KevinX

Reaction score
I think I found two problems with Skype Mobile...has anyone else had this experience?

Today I've only used my phone for a few quick Skype calls and my anytime minutes are being used. I believe it happens when a Skype contact has the option set to forward calls to a landline or mobile after so many seconds of not answering, and most likely when they are offline to begin with.

Also when I tried to call my SkypeIn phone # out of curiosity it just rings forever, I can't leave a voicemail or nothing. What is the point of being logged into Skype on my Verizon phone if I don't know someone is trying to reach me?

Am I crazy, or am I the only one with these problems? :)

EDIT -- while I was typing this post, looks like someone else has noticed the same problem

Last edited:

Brokn68

Reaction score

Skype to Skype is *suppose* to be free.I would be curious what your bill would like. It may show up as minutes used, but not minutes that count against your plan?
"Making a call to any other Skype user is handled purely through data, but a call through Skype to a domestic number will suck down your minutes just like any other call."
Skype Mobile for Verizon on Android hands-on (with WiFi off) -- Engadget