Skype for Verizon = Useless

andymellon4

Reaction score
so if my friend is on tmobile and he has the cliq than we can call for free? or any other person who has access to the aandroid market

there are no links provided

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
i couldn't tell you. AFAIK, this skype version will not show to non vzw users. But if your friend is calling over his data network through skype, to your skype (not your cell number), then yes it should be free.

ldimick

Reaction score
i couldn't tell you. AFAIK, this skype version will not show to non vzw users. But if your friend is calling over his data network through skype, to your skype (not your cell number), then yes it should be free.

OOH!! Major Fail if that's true. I am surprised that Skype would allow that kind of failure. Pushes me right towards Fring.

ldimick

Reaction score
People will always want something for nothing. Go live on a deserted island.

Whats wrong with wanting something for free?

BTW, When are you going to donate to support this board, or do you want to get it for free? :icon_eek:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

OOH!! Major Fail if that's true. I am surprised that Skype would allow that kind of failure. Pushes me right towards Fring.

Well, I'm not saying only VZW users have to use this app for free skype to skype, I am just saying I don't know whast available to other carrier's android phones. This one is vzw specific.

Sorry if I was unclear.

ldimick

Reaction score
BTW, When are you going to donate to support this board, or do you want to get it for free? :icon_eek:

That's strictly voluntary, and thank you for being a supporting member. :)

I realize that. I just wanted to tweak him for being inconsistent. I try to pay my way on everything. But I also like to get things for free without breaking any laws. Free allows me to spend money on other things. Like phones! :icon_ banana:

joehmayfield

Reaction score
i think its great just as an instant messaging program that has secondary features to call other skype users. our company has a mix of blackberry users and droid users. now all of us can communicate (while in or out of the office) without blackberry messenger or google talk.

ldimick

Reaction score

Well, I'm not saying only VZW users have to use this app for free skype to skype, I am just saying I don't know whast available to other carrier's android phones. This one is vzw specific.

Sorry if I was unclear.

I read it as though we (VZW users) will only be able to call other VZW users.

One thing that has kept me from pursuing this aggressively is that my contacts are either not technical enough to use it or they have not settled on one standard service/method. Too many options without a clear BEST. SIPs, Fring, Skype, etc

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
For me its perfect because I have folks who try to skype call me late at night on my computer. Now it can come through my cell which is a little more discreet.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
I just re-installed Fring. Fring lets you make Skype calls over WiFi for free on the Droid! Where there is a will, there is a way.

Wrong...using fring and trying to then use skype you think its not using your minutes but its gotta use your phone to connect to the numbers still unless you are using sipdroid or sipgate and gizmo5. If you want to really test if its free turn on airplane mode so it turns off the cell towers, than go turn on your wifi and try making a phone call with fring it will tell you to turn on your cell tower connection since it needs a number to connect to as google voice does as well, if you want TRUE free calling looking into using Google Voice w/ Sipdroid and Gizmo5 and you can truely make free phone calls without touching verizons network. :icon_ banana:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Sorry if I was unclear.

I read it as though we (VZW users) will only be able to call other VZW users.

One thing that has kept me from pursuing this aggressively is that my contacts are either not technical enough to use it or they have not settled on one standard service/method. Too many options without a clear BEST. SIPs, Fring, Skype, etc

Theoretically Fring users should not have an issue calling VZW skype users.

For me, skype is a standard amongst my colleagues.

masters

Reaction score
Darn.. I guess I will be using FRING.. Or (sipdroid/GV/Gizmo) Shame on Skype for crippling it for Verizon.. I had Skype on a Windows Mobile device and it was nice to be able to make and receive calls via data even 1x AND WiFi. It depended on where I was..

Example was I was in Jamaica, had no cell service for calls but for some bizarre reason I could (barely) make a call via their 1x data on my Skype on my old WinMo device. It would work better if I turned off all the radio's except WiFi for obvious reasons.

Skype is going to hurt itself if it starts holding back VOIP.

Last edited:

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Darn.. I guess I will be using FRING.. Or (sipdroid/GV/Gizmo) Shame on Skype for crippling it for Verizon.. I had Skype on a Windows Mobile device and it was nice to be able to make and receive calls via data even 1x AND WiFi. It depended on where I was..

Example was I was in Jamaica, had no cell service for calls but for some bizarre reason I could (barely) make a call via their 1x data on my Skype on my old WinMo device. It would work better if I turned off all the radio's except WiFi for obvious reasons.

Skype is going to hurt itself if it starts holding back VOIP.

Dont believe skype is holding itself back i think that verizon is holding skype back from doing the things it wants like it does on the PC.

elgordo123

Reaction score
I just re-installed Fring. Fring lets you make Skype calls over WiFi for free on the Droid! Where there is a will, there is a way.

Wrong...using fring and trying to then use skype you think its not using your minutes but its gotta use your phone to connect to the numbers still unless you are using sipdroid or sipgate and gizmo5. If you want to really test if its free turn on airplane mode so it turns off the cell towers, than go turn on your wifi and try making a phone call with fring it will tell you to turn on your cell tower connection since it needs a number to connect to as google voice does as well, if you want TRUE free calling looking into using Google Voice w/ Sipdroid and Gizmo5 and you can truely make free phone calls without touching verizons network. :icon_ banana:

Hey Dragonfly, I hate to say it, but your wrong this time... I just tried this (airplane mode, turn on wifi then use fling to make skypeout call) and it worked perfectly.