Since the phone can be rooted what is the issue with the locked boot loader?

pego99

Reaction score
Can someone explain why then is the locked boot loader a issue? Because clockwork mod can't work?

rosariorose9

Reaction score
I'd like to know the answer to that as well. Once the phone is rooted, why would one need an unlocked bootloader. I can do anything I want with my rooted Incredible - at least until tomorrow, when I hope to pick up a Maxx :icon_ lala:....

CrimsonTide55

Reaction score
Main thing is flashing custom kernels, overclocking and underclocking the processor, and undervolting to improve battery life

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Reaction score
And I believe it makes the phone harder to brick if it has an unlocked boot loader..but I might be wrong...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

nickdahat

Reaction score
Rooting without an unlocked bootloader means you have to cheat the system to gain root. An unlocked bootloader says, "OK, I'm completely yours. Do with me what you will!!" And you can!! When you have to exploit root, there could be things that go wrong with the system. When root is there and staring at you in the face, you don't have that many chances at errors! Just bad apps (if the app writer didn't know what they're doing) can take you down.

Cinoib

Reaction score
For me, rooting my Bionic was a way to use Titanium back up to freeze apps that sucked the life out of the battery. It also offered me a way to use wifi tether here in the United States like it is used in South Korea. I.e., the US is one of few countries that get's away with charging a subscriber another $30 to attach a pc via wifi tether.

I'm really not interested in overclocking or using other roms. I guess I left my pocket protector and my propeller hat somewhere. It would be nice of Moto to offer us an unlocked bootloader but it isn't going to happen. So if you insist on taking full control of your phone, perhaps buying a phone that is unlocked is a far less risky solution. I just wanted to be able to freeze bloatware and use my tether app without additional charges. So there you have it - a reason to root.