Are all phones (new and upcoming) shipping with a locked bootloader?

J.P.

Reaction score
Title basically says it all. I love my D1(rooted), but i think I may want to upgrade. I know you can Root almost any phone, but are most (if not all) companies resorting to locking the boot-loader? Custom ROMs are probably the best thing about the Droid.
Does anyone know of any new or upcoming devices that don't have the retarded boot loader lock?

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Title basically says it all. I love my D1(rooted), but i think I may want to upgrade. I know you can Root almost any phone, but are most (if not all) companies resorting to locking the boot-loader? Custom ROMs are probably the best thing about the Droid.
Does anyone know of any new or upcoming devices that don't have the retarded boot loader lock?

I think all of the droid phones that Verizon is pushing (including the HTC Incredible) have some form of locked boot loader. There are work-arounds of course, and all three of my phones are rooted, but they are of varying degrees of completeness. Thing is, if you want a particular android phone, there is probably a way to root it which will allow you to install custom roms and themes. Kernels are more problematic.

-Mike