Simple questions I don't have the answers to. Can you help?

Not a smart man

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the smart phone world, so I don't know what a lot of this stuff means.. Here are some questions I am hoping you could answer for me... (Don't laugh; they are pretty simple for most of you droid experts)

1. What is does "Mass Storage" mean/do? And what’s the benefit?

2. What are the pros and cons about rooting your droid?

3. What is the best (and simplest, I'm not to savvy in all this tech talk) way to make my droid run smoother? (Its real "Jerky" and "glitchy" from time to time)

Thats all I can think of for now, I appreciate any and all input you can provide...

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
read this for what root means

benefits of rooting to name a few are

wifi tether
load custom roms
theme
overclock

easiest way to root is here

mass storage is just the way your computer recongnizes the SD card ( or at least i think this is what you are sasking)

hope this helps

OP
N

Not a smart man

Reaction score
Helps a lot, but now.. (More stupid questions)

What is

wifi tethering and overclock?

Is Mass storage benefitial?

P.S. Thanks for the quick links!

Last edited:

Mikey311

Reaction score
First off, welcome to droidforums and congrats on getting your new smartphone! I currently own a droid x, so what i'm telling you will be pertaining to that phone. Also, questions are welcome here, so don't worry haha Also, understand that i'm not a professional and i'm not a know it all either, so make sure you hear other people's opinions too, cause i could be saying a few things wrong.

1) if you're asking about "Mass Storage Device" when connecting your phone to the computer, then mass storage means you're using your phone as an external hard drive, or usb drive. This way you can save documents and what not on your phone and move them over to another computer or just back them up or whatever you want to do

2) Since i have a droid x i can't use any roms (roms are like different operating systems for the phone) what i can do though is (pros) remove bloatware, get free wifi tethering, and access super permissions. there's more you can do but i don't go too crazy with it. i like simple and root helps me do that. The only con i can thing of is bricking the phone. i guess not being able to update is also a con, but all you need to do is have all the stock apps on the phone.

3) A lot of people on this site say not to use task killers, while others say use them. task killers can show possible performance enhancements, but i've heard in the long run they're not too good. all i can think of to speed up your phone is to make sure you exit from the apps you're using and make sure you don't fill up your phones memory completely.

Hope this helps!

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
WiFi tethering is pretty much making your 3 g connection avail to a device that can hook to wireless.. like laptop, ipod etc..

overclocking is more or less like giving your phone a energy drink.It takes your processor set at 550 (stock) and can speed it up to around 1300 and still be stable. it makes it run faster/smoother.. here an article on that

i am confused on your mass storage question.. mass storage is just a way to transfer files from your computer to your phone..

Mikey311

Reaction score
wifi tethering is using your phones 3g network as an internet router. for example, i was on vacation in las vegas a couple days ago and i had to pay $13 a day for internet, so instead i tethered my phone to my computer and connected to the internet that way. for free

i see mass storage as beneficial as a usb thumb drive

jrod1990

Reaction score
WiFi tethering is pretty much making your 3 g connection avail to a device that can hook to wireless.. like laptop, ipod etc..

overclocking is more or less like giving your phone a energy drink.It takes your processor set at 550 (stock) and can speed it up to around 1300 and still be stable. it makes it run faster/smoother.. here an article on that

i am confused on your mass storage question.. mass storage is just a way to transfer files from your computer to your phone..

Justin82 I LOVE your signature quote!!!

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I kanged that from someone.. just don't know who :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

iPirate

Reaction score
I didn't root because I don't trust the "rom makers" to do their job correctly.