Sim question

dopeskwyd

Reaction score
Here's one for the VS guru's. If I get a 4g phone from Ebay, swappa, list, etc., will I be able to use the sim card out of my D3 or D2G to activate it?

I've been looking at upgrading phones(though, not through VZW(still grandfathered)) and I just found out about the sim card for 4g phones.

If I can't use my D3 or D2G sim, is there a way to get a sim without going through VZW? I really don't want to lose my UL data?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
If your phone has a sim then yea you should also be able to use it on your new phone. Also SIM cards are free. Verizon will just give you one if needed and they don't need to know anything about your current plan.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
dopeskwyd

dopeskwyd

Reaction score
Sweet, thanks for getting back at me so quick.

2 things though,
1. The sim in my D3(and D2G) is for global use, which I don't use. So it's still good to go?
2. Free? They don't need to activate it or anything?
Reason I ask #2 is my wife just got a GS3 from her brother(at the super low family rate, and yes im jealous, and no, she has no idea what that "fancy gadget" can do) but she has no sim card, thus she can't even turn it on.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The SIM card from your Droid 3 or Droid 2 Global will not work with a LTE device.

The SIM cards you already have are for GSM global roaming only. They have no LTE compatibility whatsoever. LTE SIM cards for Verizon are tied to your account in a way that the GSM roaming SIM cards are not. They're two different types of technology and operate on two different types of networks.

All you'll need to do once you get a LTE phone is go into a corporate Verizon store with the phone and tell them you want to activate it on your account. They'll give you a LTE SIM card for free and switch everything over. You won't lose unlimited data. At this point, you only lose unlimited data if you sign a new contract, and simply activating a non-subsidized LTE device on your existing account is not starting a new contract. It's all free if you go to a corporate store (authorized and premium retailers might charge you), and it's a simple process.

Last edited:
OP
dopeskwyd

dopeskwyd

Reaction score
Thanks B. That's what I thought. I already got my wifes gs3 setup. Was just curious about my sim.