Silly me never enabled backup to google, screen is dead, need info off phone

chibae

Reaction score
okay as title says, I never backed up my phone. Feel free to throw things at me now for my own stupidity. yesterday my phone went for a swim. Now that it's dry it powers on and the message light blinks but the screen is dead. Anyway to get the info off of it now? Either by connecting to my computor or in a store to put it on a new phone?

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
If you have a USB cable that connects to your phone, you can upload the data as a flash drive, which should be seen as another drive letter in the 'computer' menu, and that drive should be able to be accessed directly.
If you store your information on the SD card, you can retrieve it the same way, and save it in file folders on your desktop, or wherever you choose.
If your phone is rooted, I highly suggest you get Titanium Backup!
You set the files/data/apps that are important, configure the date and time you want backup to run, and how often, and it is done for you, it also features recovery boot, so in the even your phone has issues, the process still works, and you will have saved the important information. I have mine set to twice weekly.
If you have Verizon,you can also have the backup service which runs automatically when you sync your phone with your computer, it's called 'backup assistant'..

Second, power down the phone, remove the battery, covers and set your OVEN to WARM, or about 170 degrees. Place the disabled phone on a cookie sheet, and place that into the oven and leave it there for no more than ONE HOUR, as soon as the oven reaches the WARMING temp, SHUT OFF the oven, but leave the phone in. The temp will start lowering, and nothing will be damaged by this small amount of heat, in fact, if you live in Phoenix, the inside of your car gets this hot all the time. Once the time has passed, remove the phone, and let it cool for at least the same amount of time, to ensure the screen and phone circuits have had a chance to 'acclimate' to normal room temperature. Replace the battery/covers and power up the phone, you may get your screen back, and can take care of the backup process the way it was intended.

You have nothing to lose, but a working phone to gain by using this method. I guarantee you can NOT damage your phone, I've been doing this for over 20 years now, and have suffered ZERO casualties.

Good luck!

Contact me if you wish, either by PM or Email, and I will be happy to give you any assistance you request, I am here for the members as I am one as well, paying it forward as it were.

73!

OP
C

chibae

Reaction score
Thank you for a detailed reply. I am trying it now.

OP
C

chibae

Reaction score
Okay, did all you described. It appears that the back lighting is what has been damaged. Everything works but is difficult to see. I did get a new phone today. replacing it this week or next had been the plan anyways. Everything I needed has been recovered.
Now,is there any thing else I can try regarding the screen lighting? I do have an insurance policy on the phone and am thinking of sending it in so I have it for music, etc.
Thank you again for your assistance.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Screen back lighting might be disabled in the DISPLAY settings, forcing the display to operate according to ambient light, which in most instances, causes the backlight to increase illumination, not lower it.
You may have other issues here to deal with, it appears.

Maybe you should use your insurance to replace the phone, but I would keep it if you can, especially if you are going to get the same make/model.
You can part-out the old one if you need to repair the new one for whatever reason.

Try rebooting the phone, or a new flash upload, what have you go to lose by playing with the broken phone, except as a learning tool.