Silence camera sounds?

blundell

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm the Dev of SilentSnap and yeah I've looked into this, so annoying but haven't got a work around at the moment. Have got a few idea's that hopefully Don't! need root access. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Blundell

FreyGrimrod

Reaction score
This is god awful I was at a conference and tried to snap a pic of a powerpoint slide full of numbers yesterday while in silent only to be greeted by beep beep horrified stares *shame*

oh and edit +1 on not buying the "upskirt" bs argument pervs can use video...

tgbjr1973

Reaction score
To silence the two focusing beeps, I skip the auto focusing. Rather than slowly pressing the shutter button a half click and waiting for it to focus before pressing it all the way in (which is when you get the beeps), I simply press it all the way down in one quick motion. Surprisingly, most of my photos are in just about as good focus, and it does avoid those two annoying beeps. (I also have all of the other tones silenced).

greenzkool

Reaction score
alarm tone

The shutter focus beeps are alarm tones. If you go into your alarm settings and uncheck "alarm in silent mode" You will no longer hear the focus beeps when using silent mode or silentsnap

richpjr

Reaction score
The shutter focus beeps are alarm tones. If you go into your alarm settings and uncheck "alarm in silent mode" You will no longer hear the focus beeps when using silent mode or silentsnap

I tried this and still get the focus beep. The program Vignette does not have a sound for either focus or snap. I am messing around with the demo, which only allows a low resolution, but may buy the full app just for that.

greenzkool

Reaction score

I tried this and still get the focus beep. The program Vignette does not have a sound for either focus or snap. I am messing around with the demo, which only allows a low resolution, but may buy the full app just for that.

All i know is that when i unchecked "alarm in silent mode" all sounds went away, shutter, focus, everything. My DX is completely silent in picture mode.

FreyGrimrod

Reaction score
THANK YOU!!! Put phone in silent mode (turn ringer down to vibrate)
go to alarm settings uncheck alarm in silent mode only sound is that of the shutter operating no more beep beep!!!

Parasol

Reaction score
Yes, I can verify that the phone is silenced completely with this settings while taking photos.

Uncheck "alarm in silent mode", and lower your phone volume before taking pictures.

Your volume rocker buttons are zoom buttons when you go into photo/video mode.

Last edited:

richpjr

Reaction score
Interesting. I did not lower the volume first and it did not work. Went back and tried it and no sound - excellent!

blundell

Reaction score
Ah thanks for the info guys!

I'll be adding this into the next released of SilentSnap ( this weekend probably! )

Daballer155

Reaction score
I found the shutter file in the system folder, but has anyone seen the focus beep?

do you have to be rooted to edit the sound files?

Are there any programs available to do that via the PC?

(for example "diskaid" for iphone)

Elkay

Reaction score
I found the shutter file in the system folder, but has anyone seen the focus beep?

The focus beep is in the code, not a sound file.

You can still use the BlurCamera.apk that I posted that killed that beep if you are running 2.2. I've tried it, works fine.

If you root you can use Root Explorer on the phone itself to browse the system files and do what you want with them (albeit, at a risk of bricking your phone if you remove or change the wrong thing.)

OP
1694kyle

1694kyle

Reaction score

Sorry this is OT

but I'd go easy root (one click root) and root explorer (file manager) like elkay said, for editing this stuff from the phone. I haven't messed with programs on the computer. It's nice to hack and run.