Silence camera sounds?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by 1694kyle, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Elkay

Elkay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is going to be a bigger pain in the butt that we thought to get rid of. Looking at the source of Android's stock camera app:

android.git.kernel.org Git - platform/packages/apps/Camera.git/blob - src/com/android/camera/Camera.java

If you go down to line 1255 you'll see that the sound is being made by ToneGenerator and is not a sound file embedded as a resource in the application nor a file in the file system. After browsing the resources in BlurCamera.apk I can say that we're likely looking at the same situation here.

2. deranger

deranger New Member

Ratings:
    +0

FWIW, all camera phones in Japan cannot have their shutter sounds silenced for this very reason.

3. Elkay

Elkay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, before I say anything else I must say (as usual) YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. If you brick your phone, it's not my fault that you decided to use this and don't say I didn't warn you.

That being said, I've attached a BlurCamera.apk app with the call to ToneGenerator during focusing removed. I had to decompile and recompile the resources, so this wasn't a simple "swap a byte" or "remove a file" hack. I haven't tested every little tiny feature, but from basic use it all seems to be working.

** You must be rooted to do this. **

To install:

First, rename BlurCamera.zip to BlurCamera.apk.

Copy the apk to your SD card with your preferred method.

Launch Root Manager. It's worth it to just buy the app if you haven't already. I grew up with DOS so I'm no stranger to command lines, but I'm not listing every single command line command to do this here. If someone else wants to list it for people to use Terminal instead, thank you.

Ensure that /system/app is mouned R/W (read/write). There's a button for it at the top right in Root Manager to toggle it.

Move /system/app/BlurCamera.apk to your SD card somewhere in /sdcard. THIS IS THE BACKUP OF YOUR ORIGINAL CAMERA APP THAT YOU WILL LIKELY NEED TO RESTORE BEFORE DOING AN OTA UPDATE. Also, don't be stupid and overwrite the one you just copied to the SD card, otherwise you're accomplishing nothing. Put it in a different directory.

Move the BlurCamera.apk file from where you put it on your SD card to /system/app.

Set permissions on BlurCamera.apk to rw-r--r--. This is User R/W, Group R, Others R. As of the current version of Root Manager this is checking the first two in row one, the first in row two and the first in row three. The rest are unchecked. Since this is standard Linux permisions, it won't likely change, but in case it does just make sure you're checking off the right ones and make sure you end up with rw-r--r-- when you are finished.

Reboot.

Enjoy.

#27 Elkay, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  4. cardr

cardr New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, I'm clueless about rooting, and don't really want to except to get rid of these camera sounds. So, my question is....if I root to do this can I unroot and the phone be the same as it was before except for the camera sounds? I've read the rooting thread and still don't really understand if I can root do what I want and unroot and it be like it is now.....

Any help for the new guy would be appreciated. Also has anyone else used Elkay's new file without the focus sound in it?

Thanks!

5. debdroid1a

debdroid1a Member

Ratings:
    +6
    What if the woman is too busy chatting or texting and doesn't hear anyway... or maybe she's hard of hearing... or he's too fast for her... or

6. quadjacks

quadjacks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ROFLMBO.....Perv...lol...

7. blundell

blundell New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I'm the Dev of SilentSnap and yeah I've looked into this, so annoying but haven't got a work around at the moment. Have got a few idea's that hopefully Don't! need root access. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Blundell

8. FreyGrimrod

FreyGrimrod Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is god awful I was at a conference and tried to snap a pic of a powerpoint slide full of numbers yesterday while in silent only to be greeted by beep beep horrified stares *shame*

oh and edit +1 on not buying the "upskirt" bs argument pervs can use video...

9. anySmarterIdRunLinux

Ratings:
    +0

Picture of sleeping baby?

10. tgbjr1973

tgbjr1973 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To silence the two focusing beeps, I skip the auto focusing. Rather than slowly pressing the shutter button a half click and waiting for it to focus before pressing it all the way in (which is when you get the beeps), I simply press it all the way down in one quick motion. Surprisingly, most of my photos are in just about as good focus, and it does avoid those two annoying beeps. (I also have all of the other tones silenced).

11. greenzkool

greenzkool New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    alarm tone

The shutter focus beeps are alarm tones. If you go into your alarm settings and uncheck "alarm in silent mode" You will no longer hear the focus beeps when using silent mode or silentsnap

12. richpjr

richpjr New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried this and still get the focus beep. The program Vignette does not have a sound for either focus or snap. I am messing around with the demo, which only allows a low resolution, but may buy the full app just for that.

Search tags for this page
camera sounds3
droid max camera sound

how do i silence my phone camera

how do silence the camera shuuter on amazon fire phobe

how to restore shutter sound to motorola mb810

how to silence camera on droid x

how to silence the click on an android smart phone camera
how to silence the sound on my cell phone camera

silence camera droid 2

silence camera droid x