Silence camera sounds?

1694kyle

Reaction score
I searched all over and found nothing on the X. How do you scilence the shutter and focus dings the camera gives? I've got my phone in silent mode and it still was making noise.

kkwan77

Reaction score
I've only noticed that if you swipe the phone to be silent in the lock screen the camera snap sound will be silent but you still hear the beep beep focus sound....

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
there are camera apps (like 360 pro) that will silence all camera sounds

OP
1694kyle

1694kyle

Reaction score
If I go into the system folder and remove the shutter and recording audio clips would that stop them? I really don't have a grasp for the system yet, but wouldn't that work?

Mew2

Reaction score
I was wondering this today as well, doesn't help when you are in a "quiet zone"

qtonic

Reaction score
Do you mean that barely audible creaking sound that you can't hear from 3 feet away?

No, on the Droid X the autofocus action and confirmation makes a loud BEEP-BEEP. It's horrible. So far nothing short of another application (perhaps) will solve the problem. Turning down ringer volume will silence the shutter sound, but no luck for the AF.

--EDIT I see you are referring to sounds that may still be made using SilentSnap. Sorry about that. Still searching for the following answer, though.

With root access I was easily able to rename the shutter sound so it is not accessed, but I can't find the AF sound anywhere.

Does anyone know the location of the auto-focus sound for the default Droid X camera??

-qtonic

Last edited:
OP
1694kyle

1694kyle

Reaction score
I found the shutter file in the system folder, but has anyone seen the focus beep?

jwestburg

Reaction score
silent snap on droidx stops the camera shutter sound effect

silent snap on droidx DOES NOT stop the focus BEEP BEEP

If someone has an easy way of getting a droidx camera without sound effects, please post. Thanks!

hotprowl

Reaction score
On my original Droid, when you put the ringer down to vibrate, it would silence the camera completly. On the X, you still hear the focus beep...sucks!

robyr

Reaction score
Yeah I don't really see a legitimate use here for any of this.

EDIT: Aside from taking pictures in a classroom (whiteboard, charts) and business settings.