Should I buy the Incredible now, or wait?

DroidDamask

Reaction score
If the Incredible was available right now, I would probably go to the store after work today and buy one.

However, since its not going to be available now til the end of the month, I am wondering if I should wait to get something else like the Shadow or the Xtreme. Will these phones really be that much better, or will I just be mad that I will have to wait even longer to buy the Incredible?

Alteron

Reaction score
Hi DroidDamask,

I am in your shoes as well, except that I ordered the Incredible last week before the news of X/Xtreme/Shadow was leaked.. I have to admit that a part of me wants to cancel my order and wait a month or two for the next gen Motorola to come out. The specs look amazing so far!

But, I have decided to hold my breath and wait for the AMOLED shortage to subside knowing that I will have my first droid phone sometime before the middle of June. Many sites speculate that the newer phones won't hit until August and I just don't want to wait that long and possibly deal with another shortage of phones, especially seeing how many MotoDroid fans there seems to be. :)

It's hard to stay at the top of technology unless you buy a new phone every 3-6 months, ya know?! (IMHO of course!)

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Go get the Incredible, it is truly Incredible, and once Android "Froyo" Frozen Yogurt 2.2 comes out it will be all that much better and faster:). In regards to the Motorola Shadow, yes it looks like a sweet phone, but you will have to wait for it, and for me it is a bit to big for a cell phone-smartphone, the Incredible is just right.

Last edited:

philaPete

Reaction score
I joined the forum just to tell this story.
I went to a local mall verizon store, they said 3 weeks wait time.
I went to a Best Buy in the same mall and they had them. Bought it on the spot, and I'm very happy.

OP
D

DroidDamask

Reaction score
PhilaPete- But did you have to buy a new plan?

I already have an existing plan with Verizon and my contract is up. I thought I had to buy it directly from Verizon...

Alteron

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing philaPete! *fighting back jealously* :)

Just out of curiosity, which part of the country are you in? I called all the Best Buys around me out here in Southern California and they are all sold out. But I hear that is the case.. west coasters are outta luck while midwestern and eastern seaboard folks have no problems. Lame! hehe

R24D24

Reaction score

I already have an existing plan with Verizon and my contract is up. I thought I had to buy it directly from Verizon...

If you are due for an upgrade, you will get the $199 price if you renew for another 2 years with VZW. If you are not eligible, you have to pay full price which I believe is $500 or so.

I believe you can purchase the phone from any Verizon retailer so long as you sign a new 2 year agreement.

OP
D

DroidDamask

Reaction score
Great news! I'm going to start calling around after work!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I got an early upgrade promo in Apr. I grabbed the Droid. I learned about the Inc. a few weeks after. At the time I wanted a slide out keyboard, so I didn't want the Inc.

Now, it doesn't matter. My 30 days is passed.

I wish I woulda waited. I rarely use the slide out keyboard. I woulda had the Inc., and at least 2 other phones to choose from around this time. More choices is never a bad thing.

And best believe, after the specs woulda came out, I woulda grabbed the Shadow in a heart beat.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Alteron

Reaction score
For what it is worth, all of the Best Buy stores near me are now doing a pre-order system for all HTC Incredibles. They ask you to buy a $50 gift card and then put your name on the list. When the phone arrives you take your $50 card in and get your phone - the $50 is applied to the purchase price.

I also just called Verizon to confirm that I could cancel my online order if I wished to, and they said NO! Really? No way to cancel it.. hmm.. She also mentioned that if you buy the phone through a 3rd party reseller (ala Best Buy), you will have to sign an additional contract with them above and beyond the Verizon contract. Yuck. Sounds a bit messy to me. Think I will just hold on to my britches and wait for FedEx to come a-knockin on my door.

She did confirm that so far the date listed on the order page has been met with quite a few being shipped ahead of the promised date. There is hope!

Googleaddict

Reaction score
Go get the Incredible, it is truly Incredible, and once Android "Froyo" Frozen Yogurt 2.2 comes out it will be all that much better and faster:). In regards to the Motorola Shadow, yes it looks like a sweet phone, but you will have to wait for it, and for me it is a bit to big for a cell phone-smartphone, the Incredible is just right.

The Shadow will be much faster than the incredible. Just look at the quadrant app graphs. It's about twice as fast WITHOUT 2.2. And the Shadow will most likely ship with android 2.2 while the incredible will probably get it at the end of the year (from what ive heard)

OP
D

DroidDamask

Reaction score
I definitely don't want to wait til the end of the year...maybe the end of the month but NOT the end of the year!

kmo

Reaction score
Get the Incredible, this thing is crazy fast right now without Froyo 2.2 which is coming soon to us. The phones are coming out fast right now and of you don't want to wait this is a great device. It will hold up in the market for a while considering that the hardware and software updates will keep it current with the upcoming models....

OP
D

DroidDamask

Reaction score
You guys don't make it easy, do you? lol

Now I want to know more about these Best Buy agreements...

HeroNova

Reaction score

If you are due for an upgrade, you will get the $199 price if you renew for another 2 years with VZW. If you are not eligible, you have to pay full price which I believe is $500 or so.

I believe you can purchase the phone from any Verizon retailer so long as you sign a new 2 year agreement.

The BestBuy by me had a few in but they are now sold out. You can buy it straight up for full retail price without added 2 years to you contract, but full retail price at Bestbuy is 600 bucks instead of the 539 at VZW.