Should I add line to get Nexus?

mikespe

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a bit & yesterday I went into the VZN store to find out if it could be done. I've been undecided if I want to get the Nexus (I have he Bionic now & I do like it a lot!)...However having a PURE Google phone has always something I've wanted. I thought that I could just add a line to get the Nexus then transfer my current number to it & put the new one to my Bionic. This way I can keep my unlimited data and get the Nexus at the discounted price. The VZN rep also added that to avoid the extra $30 data cost for the added phone that they just put a "hold" on it for only $10/month. I would still have to get a family plan which would increase my bill about $15-$20...

Like I said I really like my Bionic...but the allure of a pure Google phone as well as ICS is very appealing...Do you guys think it's worth the effort & money to get the Nexus? Plus my patience is wearing thin to get ICS on my Bionic (that is a BIG reason for this idea!)

Thanks

ex0rcist

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a bit & yesterday I went into the VZN store to find out if it could be done. I've been undecided if I want to get the Nexus (I have he Bionic now & I do like it a lot!)...However having a PURE Google phone has always something I've wanted. I thought that I could just add a line to get the Nexus then transfer my current number to it & put the new one to my Bionic. This way I can keep my unlimited data and get the Nexus at the discounted price. The VZN rep also added that to avoid the extra $30 data cost for the added phone that they just put a "hold" on it for only $10/month. I would still have to get a family plan which would increase my bill about $15-$20...

Like I said I really like my Bionic...but the allure of a pure Google phone as well as ICS is very appealing...Do you guys think it's worth the effort & money to get the Nexus? Plus my patience is wearing thin to get ICS on my Bionic (that is a BIG reason for this idea!)

Thanks

Is a phone with the same hardware.. and weaker radio and no removable sd card... noisy camera worth the 10$ a month plus 299$? Not in my book.. i had a gnex.. one day.. and broughg it back.. trust me.. if the phone didnt have ics and was unlocked.. no one would even care about it. Bionic rzr gnex. All same stuff rlly. Keep ur bionic. Imho.

nateohio

Reaction score
Is a phone with the same hardware.. and weaker radio and no removable sd card... noisy camera worth the 10$ a month plus 299$? Not in my book.. i had a gnex.. one day.. and broughg it back.. trust me.. if the phone didnt have ics and was unlocked.. no one would even care about it. Bionic rzr gnex. All same stuff rlly. Keep ur bionic. Imho.

Pretty much my opinion also.

deduct

Reaction score
I was at best buy yesterday considering the same thing. My wife's contract was up and she was looking for new phone. The rep there actually said he would not recommend the nexus because of the problems it has right now. Said better phones are right around the corner. But her og Droid is on its last leg so he steered us toward the stratosphere. And it was on sale for only 1penny! 4g for 1 penny!!! Good deal in my book. Has a amoled display and querty keyboard. She loves it. Anyway, the g nex must have some major problems if he would talk us out of buying a $300 dollar phone, for one that ended up costing $1 after taxes. I have to say, the build quality on the stratosphere is much better than nexus as well. Why couldn't they have tried a little harder to improve that battery cover door on the nexus? It was hanging on by a thread on their display model. I must admit, it does have an amazing display. And ics is pretty sweet. Can not wait until we get it!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score

+1

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also the stratosphere has to be one of the worst phones on Verizon one could get.

deduct

Reaction score
Also the stratosphere has to be one of the worst phones on Verizon one could get.

She has 14 days to return it. Is there some reasoning here?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
+1, not worth it.

No phone, is ever, will never, ever ever be worth a 2 year contract. Never.

Eventually you will get bored (in less than a year) and you will probably regret doing so cause it now becomes wasted money, and you can't do anything about it but cancel it which will cost you upwards of 250$.

If you really want it, pay full retail price, play around with it, get bored a few months later, and sell it. What you loose off the sale, is a lot less than what you loose over that two years of an upgrade price phone for one, plus the monthly service charges for your bill, and avoiding a possible cancellation fee.

And trust me, do the math, its a lot cheaper to front the full retail cost of the phone now and sell it whenever you want without having to cancel a contract, than to spread that cost over 2 years.

pdc419

Reaction score
I thought I'd voice in my opinion for what its worth. I have had my gnex for about a month. Coming from an OG and I love it. My friend has a bionic that I played with and I picked the nexus over it. I have mine rooted and haven't had any bugs or problems on it that wasn't rom related. I left it on stock for about 2 weeks and was perfectly happy with it without any of the bugs people were having. Battery life was so so, but that's to be expected with 4g. Plus it being a nexus it will get updated first. Plus no sense/blur overlay which is a plus in my book.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

deduct

Reaction score
I thought I'd voice in my opinion for what its worth. I have had my gnex for about a month. Coming from an OG and I love it. My friend has a bionic that I played with and I picked the nexus over it. I have mine rooted and haven't had any bugs or problems on it that wasn't rom related. I left it on stock for about 2 weeks and was perfectly happy with it without any of the bugs people were having. Battery life was so so, but that's to be expected with 4g. Plus it being a nexus it will get updated first. Plus no sense/blur overlay which is a plus in my book.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I think I would like a pure Google phone too. I also like the absence of logos or branding on the front of the nexus. That has always bothered me. I removed the logo on the bottom of my bionic. I am aware of what network I am on. Do not have to be reminded every time I look at my phone. Glad you are loving your phone too.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
She has 14 days to return it. Is there some reasoning here?

Sorry to sound so harsh. I am not totally sure about the Stratosphere actually but I know it has some of the same internals as other Samsung phones me and my friends have had...which were the Fascinate, Droid Charge and Captivate. All had the issues below. The internals in the Strat are over 1 year old. If the Stratosphere is not experiencing the following issues then it maybe an ok phone. Also it depends on what it is being used for, and there are not a lot of options for keyboard sliders these days. Here is a review from phonedog: Samsung Stratosphere Review by Sydney | PhoneDog

Knows Issues with S1 model Samsung phones (Charge and Strat have old Galaxy S1 internals which are different than than Galaxy Nexus)
-GPS locking. The GPS takes more than a couple seconds to lock. Also Navigation takes forever to start. My GPS wouldn't work at all in some areas.
-Radio. Data is very slow compared to other phones. Do a speedtest from the app in the market on 4g to make sure it is on par with other 4g phones, like your Bionic.
-Memory issues. Touchwiz usually suffers from poor memory allocation issues due to poor software writing and low available ram.
-Updates. Samsung is one of the worst manufacturers at releasing updates. My Fascinate didn't get 2.2 until 8 months after my droid 1 did.
-Processor. The single core hummingbird processor in the Strat is good for things such as sound and visuals, but it uses a different way of processing from all other single cores. This makes it run slower and chopper than say the OMAP or Qualcom.

Again. If it doesn't have these problems or they are not deal breakers than it may be a good phone for the user. Let your own experience guide you.

Last edited:

z96Cobra

Reaction score
If you have to move up to a family plan that increases your monthly bill by $15-20 a month, that's $360 over 2 years. Then you add the increased cost from the $10/month "hold"... there's another $240 (+ all the taxes/fees on the 2nd line). Over 2 years you're paying a minimum of $600. You would be better off ($ wise) buying it outright.

deduct

Reaction score
Well said stelv. I agree it is not up to par with higher end dual core phones. I have already noticed it does take a little bit longer than my bionic with some tasks. If it were me I would not be completely satisfied. But my wife isn't too concerned about processing speeds. She just wants a phone that will let her surf the web fast, load facebook ,and Craig's list fast, and take decent pics. And she insisted on a free phone and this was as close to free as we could get. Oh and she really wanted to have a QWERTY keyboard too. Anyway, thanks for the info. I will be keeping a close eye on it for next few days to make sure there aren't any problems with it.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well said stelv. I agree it is not up to par with higher end dual core phones. I have already noticed it does take a little bit longer than my bionic with some tasks. If it were me I would not be completely satisfied. But my wife isn't too concerned about processing speeds. She just wants a phone that will let her surf the web fast, load facebook ,and Craig's list fast, and take decent pics. And she insisted on a free phone and this was as close to free as we could get. Oh and she really wanted to have a QWERTY keyboard too. Anyway, thanks for the info. I will be keeping a close eye on it for next few days to make sure there aren't any problems with it.

Good luck. You can't beat it's price for a 4g phone. I always liked sliders, I wish Verizon would release more.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score

Word to that. Amen. I had a nexus on my line and had so many problems with it. I still have my ex GFs nexus and haven't messed with it since I've had the Bionic. Everything he said up above is how I feel. I'm getting rid of the Nexus so if anyone wants a gd deal with otterbox/extended battery then PM me for details.

The biggest difference to me of the 2 is the browser speeds but that's all because of the software. Look at the Razrs 2.3.5 software vs Bionics 2.3.4 software. So the Bionic will be on par when it gets ICS, just a waiting game now.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited: