Sholes mod Q's

Rocky_Droid

Reaction score
Hello, there seems to be quite a bit of buz about sholesmod updater. From my understanding it essentially roots the phone for you right? If so, does this mean the warranty is void? can I ever go back to the original Droid software and pretend shole never happened?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah rooting voids your warranty if they ever found out but you can successfully unroot and return to normal if you had to take it back to VZW for whatever reason...

And although the SholesMod app is supposed to root for you....I would suggest rooting the phone yourself, and then let the app do its thing. Because people have reported problems from the app that used it to start from scratch with an unrooted phone

OP
R

Rocky_Droid

Reaction score
Hmm...What is the point of sholes after you have rooted your phone?

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score

:icon_eek: the point is!!! you have most of the 2.1 features, pinch zoom, smoked glass notification bar instead of the ugly white one, wireless tether, overclocking.....shall i go on? :D sholesmod rocks :woot: :icon_ banana:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I rooted with Sholes Mod and I didn't have any problems with it what so ever. The only problem I had was myself not fully understanding what the Sholes Mod did and how it did it. I kind of found out afterward.

The impression I got was you bought the 5.00 app out of the Market and it takes care of everything. Almost but not quite. There are some decisions to be made, I'm glad I had somebody walk me through it.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the $5 app from the market and after rooting my phone the 'old school' way first and later adopting the SMUpdater app, the app literally does everything for you except the first time when you actually have to hold down the power button and 'x' key. It literally couldn't be easier. As for going back to stock 2.0.1 the app couldn't make it any easier. I personally tested it, and it was a very easy and smooth process. The app is worth the $5 imo.

As for the ROM itself, I have so little issues with the most recent build I'm not even that excited for when 2.1 comes out anymore, because I feel like I already have it :D

Last edited:

R1Lover

Reaction score
The sholes mod works great! Give it a try... you can also go back to STOCK with it as well.

raven1911

Reaction score

:icon_eek: the point is!!! you have most of the 2.1 features, pinch zoom, smoked glass notification bar instead of the ugly white one, wireless tether, overclocking.....shall i go on? :D sholesmod rocks :woot: :icon_ banana:

Sorry, I don't fully understand Rooting, but when you install Sholes it has all of this with the app, right? I am seriously considering rooting but need to do more research on it and fully understand it before doing it for my own benefit.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i understand your concern. yes the sholesrom includes all of that. i had to have someone in here hold my hand thru the whole process lol i wont mention any names....(thanks NATEDIDDY!!) lol

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
i understand your concern. yes the sholesrom includes all of that. i had to have someone in here hold my hand thru the whole process lol i wont mention any names....(thanks NATEDIDDY!!) lol

Haha I think we were all there at one point. Im familiar with Unix commands and I even was uneasy about rooting my phone. I've jailbroken iPhones and hacked Unix systems through Terminal and was still afraid of bricking my phone. The app makes it better but the best old school thread would have to be:
From stock 2.0.1 > To Rooted > and back again!

r-dubya

Reaction score
And although the SholesMod app is supposed to root for you....I would suggest rooting the phone yourself, and then let the app do its thing. Because people have reported problems from the app that used it to start from scratch with an unrooted phone

I have heard of nobody having any problems if they followed the very simple direction in using the SMU to root their device.

I could very well be wrong, but i was among the first to use this app, fumbled my way through it and helped many afterwords through this forum.

r-dubya

Reaction score

Haha I think we were all there at one point. Im familiar with Unix commands and I even was uneasy about rooting my phone. I've jailbroken iPhones and hacked Unix systems through Terminal and was still afraid of bricking my phone. The app makes it better but the best old school thread would have to be:
From stock 2.0.1 > To Rooted > and back again!

I love how only a month can be considered "old school" :icon_ banana:

This app really did change everything in the terms of rooting the droid.

transfigure

Reaction score
I just installed SMUpdater and flashed the 2.0.3 ROM last night. Perfect for me. I can bumble my way around a command line if I have to, but if I don't, all the better. It feels like the Droid is what it was meant to be now, at 1GHz. I've used SetCPU to reduce the processor speed when not in use, and the battery seems to be holding as well as it did at 550MHz.

Using Linpack, I get 8.2 - 8.7 megaflops at 1GHz, no JIT. On Greene Computing, someone posted a Droid with over 32, though. Seems like the phone would melt in your hands at that speed.

I'm looking forward to a Sholes release with stable JIT. It wasn't even an option in the 2.0.3 install; guess they removed it due to instability.

Edit: I do have a question: I'm assuming that it will not be possible to update to Android 2.1 with Sholes in place. Is that correct?

Last edited:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, OTA updates are blocked, but

1) It seems that 2.1 doesnt have anything you dont already have in Sholes (we'll have to wait and see to be sure)

2) You can use Sholes to revert to stock and get 2.1 OTA

3) You can just wait a week or two, donate $5 to Sholes, and hope like most of us are that they will root and release a custom 2.1 rom