Settings application

redtail123

Reaction score
On occasion when I attempt to go into settings, I receive an error message saying, "Unfortunately, settings has stopped working." Can anyone explain this issue, and how I might correct it on my newly ICS updated HTC Rezound?

Last edited:

corki2

Reaction score
On occasion when I attempt to go into settings, I receive an error message saying, "Unfortunately, settings has stopped working." Can anyone explain this issue, and how I might correct it on my newly ICS updated HTC Rezound?

I had the same issue. I did a hard reset and haven't seen it again.

Sent from my Rezound

acejavelin

Reaction score
I get this every once in a while, but pressing it a second time always works. It seems to me there is a connection if the timing is just right well something else is going on, just haven't pinned down if it's right after unlock, when switching on/off WiFi, or the full screen Weather is the culprit because it doesn't seem to do it every time.

esheesle

Reaction score
Had the same issue with settings and a few other apps right after the upgrade. Was intermittent(go days without) though. In the end I ended up formatting and ruu'ing the phone to get a fresh start. So far no issues. Factory reset should be sufficient though. I think the upgrade just didn't migrate all your data correctly(no shock as it would be like upgrading Windows XP->Windows 7 and expecting everything to run smooth, it might occassionally but not always).

MJKneuro

Reaction score
esheesle said:
Had the same issue with settings and a few other apps right after the upgrade. Was intermittent(go days without) though. In the end I ended up formatting and ruu'ing the phone to get a fresh start. So far no issues. Factory reset should be sufficient though. I think the upgrade just didn't migrate all your data correctly(no shock as it would be like upgrading Windows XP->Windows 7 and expecting everything to run smooth, it might occassionally but not always).

This was an ota upgrade on a new phone, then I did two hard resets (over kill) before loading apps and restoring data so I'm not convinced another reset would resolve the problem. Regardless, at least at this time, it isn't enough of a nuisance to have to go through setting up the phone again.

corki2

Reaction score
I take that back. Hard reset didn't solve it. It just happened again. Don't bother trying that.

Sent from my Rezound

esheesle

Reaction score
Yup, just had settings stop. I had factory reset and ruu'd the phone so definitely nothing we can really do to fix it short of emailing htc.

Hopefully it will only be settings doing that now though. I had other apps randomly doing that prior as well.

DroDough

Reaction score

Try going into settings (when it will allow you), select apps>select "all" on top right> scroll down to settings and select>from there select clear data, then select force stop. Once you have selected force stop click you home key. Once on your home screen then try going back to your settings to see if you get the same error. This is in no way a guaranteed fix, it is just something I think may help you.

esheesle

Reaction score
Just had it happen to me again this morning. First settings, then weatherbug. I factory reset and ruu'd earlier this week. I used titanium backup to restore only 1 app(not crashing at all and unrelated to the ones that are) so not really sure what is causing the issue.

esheesle

Reaction score
This was an ota upgrade on a new phone, then I did two hard resets (over kill) before loading apps and restoring data so I'm not convinced another reset would resolve the problem. Regardless, at least at this time, it isn't enough of a nuisance to have to go through setting up the phone again.

So no titanium backup restores or anything right? Seems like it must just be a random issue because I have a hard time believing my fresh install and then 1 whole titanium app restored could cause the issue (but i am having it).

acejavelin

Reaction score
Did you flash the RUU... TWICE?

Most people who have done this a lot (including me) recommend going through the flash process twice, sometimes only flashing it once causes strange issues.

esheesle

Reaction score
Did you flash the RUU... TWICE?

Most people who have done this a lot (including me) recommend going through the flash process twice, sometimes only flashing it once causes strange issues.

I factory reset, then flashed twice.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Hmmm... Odd, this build of ICS is actually stable. I would try Factory Reset then do not restore any apps via any backup tool and test, if it is ok add apps back one at a time from the Play Store (NOT TiB or UltiBackup) and test, I am guessing something in restoration is causing the issue.

If it does it clean, then I would get a warranty replacement.

esheesle

Reaction score
Hmmm... Odd, this build of ICS is actually stable. I would try Factory Reset then do not restore any apps via any backup tool and test, if it is ok add apps back one at a time from the Play Store (NOT TiB or UltiBackup) and test, I am guessing something in restoration is causing the issue.

Just can't see how restoring one app could cause it (the app is just a plugin for tasker actually), but guess anything is possible.

esheesle

Reaction score

Oh and just to add to this, I don't recall ever having issues in GB. Have a hard time believing it could be the hardware itself. I've read several posts from people reporting this problem claiming to have new phones that had no apps yet. It is very intermittent so maybe just a random bug that appears once in a while? Easy enough to ignore for now i guess.