Set up / Reset / ClockworkMod Recovery

Tzabar

Reaction score
Hello all,

A couple months ago I made the transition from iPhone to Droid (switched from T-mobile to Verizon). The hardest part has been adjusting to my amateur status (I had my iPhone unlocked and jailbroken, etc.). That having been said, please bear with me and feel free to drop any useful hints and tips along the way.

I have been using a Droid X since moving to Verizon. However, with an upcoming trip abroad, I purchased a Droid 2 Global through Craigslist. I suspect the phone is ROM'd (I hope I'm using the correct terminology). I see that I am using android version 2.2, system version Fission_2.4.3. Obviously, the phone is not activated. When I remove the SD card and turn on the phone, I get a ClockworkMod Recovery menu.

My questions are:

• How can I wipe this phone clean and put my Google contacts on it?
  • When I go abroad, will popping in a new SIM card simply work? Even if the phone is not activated here? Or, do I need to bypass certain controls?
  • Is Gingerbread available?

Ideally, I'd like to get this Droid 2 Global as close to my X as possible --> Gingerbread w/ LauncherPro, whilst working on a foreign network and not being activated/registered with Verizon.

Thank you all in advance.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
You can probably just remove the old google account tied to the phone and add yours to it. Before you take it global, check to see if its unlocked, as it needs to be if you want to use a different sim.
Just pop in a different sim and see if it asks for an unlock pin. If no, it's all set to go global.
You can also sbf it to put it back into an out of box state (not a bad idea as fission is 2.4.29 based, the current sbf brings you up to sys version 2.4.330)
If you're sticking with fission, don't forget the sim card hotfix
Gb is currently right around the corner, with the soak test coming VERY SOON. A leak will be around shortly I suspect.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
T

Tzabar

Reaction score
I really appreciate you answering. I have a few follow up questions...:

• Is .sbf the only way to clear the phone?
  • If my phone is not activated, I imagine I can't get Gingerbread over the air. Is there another way?
  • And, if I discover (upon putting in a SIM) that the phone is locked (isn't the point of the Droid 2 Global to be unlocked?), how can I go about unlocking it?
Thank you again.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
This might be the 15th time I'm explaining this:

Your phone does not need to be either activated with Verizon, online on Verizon, or in any way connected to the cellular network at all for the OTA update to work.

The only thing required is a data connection, it doesn't matter if it's WiFi, GSM, CDMA, or anything else.

As long as your phone is able to connect to the internet, you can download the update.

OP
T

Tzabar

Reaction score
Awesome. That certainly makes my life easier.

Does anyone know about the SIM unlock? If something needs to be done...:

Do I need to call Verizon to have them unlock the phone before I leave on Friday? Or, are there other ways to go about it? Given that I bought the phone through craigslist... would they even be willing to help?