Set CPU Governor settings

poooookah78

Reaction score
Can anyone please break down the settings for the governor for me?

I currently run on userspace as I hear that's the best for battery life. There are a lot of debates out there, but if anyone REALLY knows what they're talking about, could you take the time to break down the 4 and tell what each is good for? (i.e. battery life, power, etc.)

Thank You so very much!

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
"The CPU Governor drop down box contains a list of CPU "governors" that the phone can use. Available governors will vary with your specific device and kernel. The Performance governor, called "Always Max" on previous versions of SetCPU, allows your phone to run at maximum speed, ignoring all power saving functions. The "ondemand" setting is default, and scales the phone between the maximum and minimum speeds. On some kernels, the "conservative" governor is also available. The "conservative" governor ramps up the CPU more slowly than the "ondemand" governor, leading to slower responsiveness but better battery performance."

OP
P

poooookah78

Reaction score
"The CPU Governor drop down box contains a list of CPU "governors" that the phone can use. Available governors will vary with your specific device and kernel. The Performance governor, called "Always Max" on previous versions of SetCPU, allows your phone to run at maximum speed, ignoring all power saving functions. The "ondemand" setting is default, and scales the phone between the maximum and minimum speeds. On some kernels, the "conservative" governor is also available. The "conservative" governor ramps up the CPU more slowly than the "ondemand" governor, leading to slower responsiveness but better battery performance."

THANKS! And the userspace?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

THANKS! And the userspace?

I believe it is currently useless because it was created so that apps could have a defined cpu speed. Meaning that one app that needs a lot of power could be set to run at 1ghz while another app could be set to run at 550mhz. Don't quote me on that part though.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's the developers page (which is what ^ is from):
SetCPU

That being said I found that 'conservative' is a much better setting. Much better battery and the processor actually scales according to load. With the 'on demand' setting any little load ramped it to the MAX frequency instantly and it would virtually never go down...