Sensor usage killing battery...

coolj478

I had bonsai blast on my phone but I deleted it because it was killing my battery (or atleast I thought). I'd use the program, exit, and kill it using (ATK) and I'd check to make sure it wasn't running in services. Then I'd charge my phone to 100%, pull it off the charger and go to bed. I'd wake up and the phone would be drained 20% or more! According to SpareParts bonsai blast (that was exited and killed) was using the senor 100% of the time since unplugged. So I thought it was the program and deleted it. Now the same things are happening with GalaxIR and OpenTyrian. If I use either program, exit and kill, charge phone to 100%, both of those programs start using the sensor 100% of the time. They aren't listed in ATK or running services so I'm at a loss here.

Any suggestions? Is something up with my phone?

Thanks for the help!

OP
C

coolj478

I'm still using 2.1 (rooted, but the issue with bonsai blast was pre-root). I don't really use ATK all that much. Maybe once a day if I notice the phone is lagging a bit. I figured though by using it on these programs they'd be killed for sure.

OP
C

coolj478

Yup, saw that. I have been able to reproduce with both that setting check and not checked. Frankly I guess I don't have much running on my phone that uses location because I don't get much different battery life either way. I'm leaning towards a hard reset but that's a pain (a huge pain).

OP
C

coolj478

Ok I installed and played bonsai blast. I looked for a way to exit the applicaition and couldn't find it. So i used the back button and that seemed to end it because when I went back in i saw the load screen. So i hit the back button again and now if i look at sensor usage in spare parts the time just keeps going up.

aminaked

Silver Member
Sounds like you found the problem, but here is info on the bug I was talking about:

Work around the droid x sleep bug on 2.1:
-turn off gps when done using
-turn off wifi when done using
-after charging unplug phone and reboot phone

Hopefully the final ota update will allow you to leave this stuff on all the time.

Other than that, an app/widget/live wallpaper may be draining your battery so dial *#*#4636#*#* after the phone has been unplugged for a while to find the culprit(s).

OP
C

coolj478

Maybe I'm missing the obvious but what did I find? I just confirmed what has already been happening....

I've got wifi and gps off and I rebooted the phone before starting to play bonsai blast. So I don't think it's related to the sleeping bug...

aminaked

Silver Member
Oh, my bad, I thought you were saying that the game was causing the problem.

I think in spare parts you need to back out of it and then go back in for it to refresh.

OP
C

coolj478

I'd blame it on the game but it happens on three of them....So I looked in system panel and it seems that it's still running in teh background. So i went ahead and ended the task but the sensor usage time is still going up for bonsai blast.....any suggestions?

I know a ton of people have bonsai blast installed, does anyone else have this problem.

Since this is happening wiht more than 1 game, is anyone else having this problem with any apps using the sensor even after being killed? I wouldn't care if it wasn't eating through my battery.

Thanks!

OP
C

coolj478

Well I did a factory reset and I'm still having the problem. Start up bonsai blast, no matter what I do when I exit (home key, back key and/or use ATK) it still keeps eating up my sensor. It did randomly stop for a few hours but of course my battery was getting killed from all the sensor action prior so I had to plug it in. Once I unplugged it from the charger bonsai blast was back to using my sensor 100% of the time.....even though it's not listed in ATK or under settings -> applications -> running services (how could it still be alive?) There HAS to be someone else running into this. It's with any game that uses the sensor (ie: opentyrian, galaxir, or bonsai blast).

Could I have a defective phone? Should I contact Verizon?

Thanks

OP
C

coolj478

Did a factory reset and I can still reproduce the problem regularly.....

Is anyone else having this issue? A few people have to have bonsai blast, galaxir, or open tyrian installed and spare parts. After you exit the program does the program keep using the android sensors?

Could I have a defective phone? Is there any chance this is a hardware issue?

Thanks,

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Go to the market and check for a program called auto starts, that will tell you if something your phone is doing is triggering a program to start. Look on that list for the bonsai blast and disable it.

OP
C

coolj478

I've got autostarts and I double checked, nothing is triggering this app (or any of the others) to start......

Is anyone else seeing this with bonsai blast, open tyrian, or galaxir? Do any Droid X users have any apps using 100% of their sensor time even after you've exited them? If you use these apps and have spare parts installed then let me know if they are still using your sensors even after you've exited.

Is it possible this is a hardware issue?