Security For Your New Droid

OP
New2u

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As already explained, there is a difference between malware and viruses. Please look up the difference if you don't know. Malware is not a virus, but a virus is malware.

souljerr

Reaction score
Before reading this thread I was going to download one of the anit-virus apps from the marketplace. Now I think I'll just wait it to see how it all shakes out.

brendanstl

Reaction score
Flexilis is the best app IMHO. Its free, you can backup all your data and if the phone is lost or stolen you can get online see where it is and also send a siren sound to that will go off even if the phone is on silent.

windstrings

Reaction score
Flexilis is the best app IMHO. Its free, you can backup all your data and if the phone is lost or stolen you can get online see where it is and also send a siren sound to that will go off even if the phone is on silent.

Can you turn off the AV and utilize just the other features?

droidfanboy

Reaction score
so with all of this talk about our phones being under attack any ideas of what apps we should install

inigomntoya

Reaction score

I may install that just so I can find my phone if I lose it...

windstrings

Reaction score

I may install that just so I can find my phone if I lose it...

That would be a cool feature if you can disable all the other stuff you don't want it to do.

I wonder how accurate it is?..
unless its accurate to within a few feet, it would be hard to determine the location without falsely accusing or having the guilty party denying anything and you still being unable to prove it....

If you could get it to squeal upon command "from another phone" buy dialing a certain number would be nice!

The element of surprise is a powerful tool.

alphabuild

Reaction score
I wasn't saying that there was a virus out for the android platform, but there is proof of concept virus's out there for every platform. it CAN be done. That's what i was getting at. The virus's i was mainly talking about are for winmo and soon to be apple. Yes the apps may have their own jvm, but they do reside in the same location within the system. I wasn't saying hey there's 100000000's virus's out go get protection. Merely saying stay safe while your using the device.

And for mac users.. who think they are invincible, your day is coming. Your not only not virus proof your not malware proof or even close. There have been way too many people who don't know what the difference between malware and virus's are. While there haven't been any in the wild virus's for mac's there are proof of concept virus's. So if someone wanted to, they could write one no problem.

Malware doesn't effect a system in the same was as a virus and thus the reason why people are still vulnerable to attack. While linux systems and apple don't have any virus's out for them (other then PoC), creating malware is another story. This is the moral of my story. People need to understand that there is a difference between virus's and malware, and they do different things on your system.

okay. i have to chime in here. the "viruses" for the iPhone were affecting people who jailbroke their phones and did not change the root password while having SSH turned on. Hello. thats not a virus, thats being stupid. thats like leaving the keys in your car and the doors open and then saying your car was "stolen".

secondly, I have used Mac's at home for 10 years and never had any virus or malware or anything close to it. While every windows user i know has had one at some point either at home or even the workplace with virus software installed!

the OP is spreading FUD.

OP
New2u

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wasn't saying that there was a virus out for the android platform, but there is proof of concept virus's out there for every platform. it CAN be done. That's what i was getting at. The virus's i was mainly talking about are for winmo and soon to be apple. Yes the apps may have their own jvm, but they do reside in the same location within the system. I wasn't saying hey there's 100000000's virus's out go get protection. Merely saying stay safe while your using the device.

And for mac users.. who think they are invincible, your day is coming. Your not only not virus proof your not malware proof or even close. There have been way too many people who don't know what the difference between malware and virus's are. While there haven't been any in the wild virus's for mac's there are proof of concept virus's. So if someone wanted to, they could write one no problem.

Malware doesn't effect a system in the same was as a virus and thus the reason why people are still vulnerable to attack. While linux systems and apple don't have any virus's out for them (other then PoC), creating malware is another story. This is the moral of my story. People need to understand that there is a difference between virus's and malware, and they do different things on your system.

okay. i have to chime in here. the "viruses" for the iPhone were affecting people who jailbroke their phones and did not change the root password while having SSH turned on. Hello. thats not a virus, thats being stupid. thats like leaving the keys in your car and the doors open and then saying your car was "stolen".

secondly, I have used Mac's at home for 10 years and never had any virus or malware or anything close to it. While every windows user i know has had one at some point either at home or even the workplace with virus software installed!

the OP is spreading FUD.

It's amazing how i'm spreading FUD. Go look the S*** up. You want to be a blind believer go right ahead. While YOU alone may not have gotten any malware or viruses, i know mac users who have. That's like saying well I'm a PC user and haven't gotten any viruses or malware either in the past 6 years. Macs can get malware, and they can get viruses. As stated, the viruses at this point for the MAC are more PoC (proof of concept), but the malware is not. If there are PoC viruses out, and more users start going to macs.. welcome to no longer proof of concept.

Apple sneaks anti-malware into Mac OS X

Apple Confirms Anti-Malware Protection in 'Snow Leopard' - News and Analysis by PC Magazine

I guess apple just wants to put it on for no reason, because it doesn't do anything, and you are invulnerable to attacks from malware. WAKE UP!

slboomer

Reaction score
Remote Lockout?

I'm not worried about malware, but I am concerned that I might misplace my Droid or have it stolen. Is there an app that will let me call the phone and wipe it clean? And/or find out where it is using the GPS?

Thanks!

Yorba

Reaction score
i know it's a bit early, but does anyone know of one or two recommendations that rise to the top of the pack?

I have installed Mobile Security from Flexilis -- avail for free on market. Good reviews and works fine so far for me :)

Boris Badenov

Reaction score
While technically not Droid related... if any of you want a great anti-virus program that is always updated and free, check out AVG (for Windows). New 9.0 version came out. I've been using it for several years now and never had a virus.

AVG is ok, but not airtight.
Avira AntiVir has picked up trojan that both AVG and avast! has missed.

:icon_eek::mad::icon_evil:

yungo845

Reaction score
I use flexilis its good it scans all apps when u download them.. backup contacts,locate your phone if its stolen and if you lose your phone go to there website and it'll make the phone make a screaming noise even if its on silent very loud tested it to make sure it works