Security For Your New Droid

souljerr

Reaction score
I'm not worried about malware, but I am concerned that I might misplace my Droid or have it stolen. Is there an app that will let me call the phone and wipe it clean? And/or find out where it is using the GPS?

Thanks!

Now that would be cool. A mobile wipe; I like it. I'd buy that!

pstpolamalu43

Reaction score
what is the best security app to have?? one that wont kill the battery much cause i cant get a whole day out of my battery....

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I Open Carry most of the time, So I don't worry about the security of my Droid.
And If I'm not OC'ing I am CC :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Flexilis Mobile Security is a great app. Real time protection, synced updates, manual scan... also has a locate feature if you ever lose your phone or have it stolen... and you can go onto Flexilis website and have your phone play a LOUD scream no matter what setting it was last on. You can also backup your photos and contacts thru Flexilis. Really great app.

J

Johnly

Coming from a BB I never worried about it. But now that I have this beautiful droid, I am going to research security apps, and the like. I may pay online using my phone, and I don't want that info out there. I am not sure the android OS is all that prone to viruses and hackers, but it seems with the open platform it could very well be. I am going to try and get a hold of Motorola and see what insight they have on this matter....good topic.

Xerozix

Reaction score
Well, here is what I run on my mutlitude of systems.

iAntiVirus on my mac (free)
Avast AntiVirus Home Edition on my Windows machines (free)
ClamAV on my linux servers (free)
Flexilis on my Droid (free)

There are so many free AV programs out there :D

We just need the app to somehow turn the phone on even if it's off. now THAT would be cool. The only problem is that when the phone is off the entire wireless section is off. Maybe, an app to #1 queue a device wipe, then #2 lock the phone.

Combine that with Flexilis and you've got your phone completely covered. The minute they turn on the phone it gets the command to wipe it, then the phone locks itself requiring a special code that you decide.

Maybe I'll write an app like that, and maybe it'll be computer controlled too. Who's with me? haha

windstrings

Reaction score
I"ve never had phone security before..... and the Android is claimed more secure than what I came from.

I will not be slugging my phone down with AV simply of paranoia alone.

I will wait until its merited.

I'm sure we will hear of many issues before we ourselves will be the target as we are small fry.

I have no reason to think hackers will spend their energy seeking me personally out when there is big money out there to pick on.

When that happens it will hit the news and the forums... then we can talk.

souljerr

Reaction score
I think I'm with you on this Windstrings. I'll wait until there's a reason for me to lcok my phone down. Until then I guess I'm living dangerously :icon_eek:

windstrings

Reaction score
I think I'm with you on this Windstrings. I'll wait until there's a reason for me to lcok my phone down. Until then I guess I'm living dangerously :icon_eek:

I have a standard password I use for personal and a standard which is more complex for other things.. I never write that password down in my notes on my phone but rather just say "stdpass" meaning its the standard one and I know what that is...
If I deviate from it, I make notes to what the deviations are.. again not mentioning the real password... even if someone got my whole notes and contacts list, they would be helpless without that knowledge I have in my head.

As far as keyloggers and monitoring the airways with sophisticated scrambling devices?.... There are bigger targets than me for them to waste their efforts on and we are behind a pretty sophisticated system of network protections between Verizon and Google.

Until this becomes an issue, its not an issue in my book.
I want my phone to run as smooth as possible without some buggy AV program scanning every move and eating up my processor power.

Its in the best interest of the cell phone providers to protect us as much as possible.

No one cares if we trash our home computers with viruses so we are on our own there.

brendanstl

Reaction score
Flexilis is the best app IMHO. Its free, you can backup all your data and if the phone is lost or stolen you can get online see where it is and also send a siren sound to that will go off even if the phone is on silent.

Can you turn off the AV and utilize just the other features?

Sorry, I forgot to check this post that I replied to. You cant disable the AV but I found another APP that is called "where's my droid" in the market place. I got rid of the other due to the fact that it doesnt seem we will be needing any AV anytime soon. I installed "wheres my droid" and I love it, already used it twice.

windstrings

Reaction score
I installed "wheres my droid" and I love it, already used it twice.

Looks like pretty good ratings.
I saw one post that said it won't send gps info back to their email.

Exactly how does it work and do you have any bugs?

Are you using the droid?.. I see it looks like people are using it on other phones is why I ask.

I downloaded it... how do you use the "enter code" verses one of the attention words?

Nevermind.... I found some instructions here.\

Did you get the GPS to work?.. its unclear as to whether it has to be the paid version to work or not?
So far I'm not getting it to work with the free version.. I'm just using the default attention words that come with it.

* Can email phone from computer (To do this you email your phone a text message containing the attention word just as you would from a phone. Instructions:
1. Email your phone by at ##########@tmomail.net where the #’s is your ten digit phone number.
2. In the subject of your email is where you will put your attention word you can leave the body of the email blank.
3. Send your email. (Note must be sent from a gmail account)
4. Your phone with ring or email you back with its location depending on the word you sent.

Last edited: