SD Card transfer: Droid RAZR to S5

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
Would there be any inherent problems in simply pulling the 16G SD card straight from my old Razr Maxx and installing it into my new S5, at the same time I swap the sim card? I'd like to assume the format would be the same between different Android versions, but I'd rather have a second (or more) opinion before trying...

jspradling7

Reaction score
It's a bit like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters. There's gonna be a heck of a big bang!

It should work just fine for accessing music and photos. With the SIM, just pop it in and go.

Gomo

Reaction score
Worked for me, original razr to s5 no problems...even transferred apps to SD first...

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Should not be an issue.

tomthbomb

Reaction score
My sd and sim went from my RAZR MAXX to my S5 with no problem EXCEPT all of my contacts were separated into different categories(?) so I had to delete duplicate contacts. Took about 30 minutes.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My sd and sim went from my RAZR MAXX to my S5 with no problem EXCEPT all of my contacts were separated into different categories(?) so I had to delete duplicate contacts. Took about 30 minutes.
Contacts are linked to your Google account, not stored on SIM or SD. You shouldn't have had duplicate contacts.

I have transfered SIMs between multiple devices and I have never seen duplicate contacts.

You may have synced your contacts to two different Google accounts and when you signed in with the second account this might have caused the duplicate contacts. That's the only thing I can think of right now.

tomthbomb

Reaction score
Some were triplicate. We use an enterprise server so so contacts are loaded from it.

bocabean

Reaction score
I decided to get another 32GB SD for my S5 after switching from the Droid Razr Maxx. My Maxx was rooted and I had a lot of apps running on the SD with Link2SD.

Before the safestrap recovery became available for the S5, I was not comfortable simply moving the SD from one to another. I chose to completely back it up to the PC using xcopy. After that (and before buying the 2nd SD), I completely wiped the SD as well as removing the 2nd partition because I wasn't sure if the S5 would be able to access it in a stock non-rooted state. Then I went ahead and selectively brought back over to the SD those data files which the S5 could see and use in kitkat.

The new SD card was used to recreate the original Maxx SD and was put back into that phone. Now when needed, I have been able to swap the Sim card back and forth so that I know that both devices are running fine. I can still use the Maxx on wifi.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

bocabean

Reaction score
I have been using companion link and Deja Office to sync my Outlook connections and that has worked well for me.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk