SD Card showing less than actual Memory Size

Junside

Reaction score
I did a search before posting this, so hopefully I didn't miss it.
There was a similar one, but in his/her case, his Droid was rooted, mine isn't.

So here's my situation. I've had my Droid for roughly a month. About two weeks in, I noticed my SD card was showing total memory to be 2.83gb. I pulled out my battery and looked inside, and sure enough, the card says 16gb on it. I haven't abused my phone in any way, and I'm not even using that much (total memory use in the card is around 30mb, and mostly games like Caligo Chaser. )

So what can the issue be? I never tried anything like rooting or any other method of alteration. The only apparently I heard a lot of dissatisfaction with was Advanced Task Killer so I uninstalled that already.

I took my phone to the Verizon store, and the associate formatted it for me on request by me, backing up just pictures and music.
So I'm out of ideas. Is it possible to get a new SD card without paying? I might sound cheap but I expect to get what was supposed to.

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Ummm, yeah, the warranty on flash media is "lifetime", so it really shouldn't be a problem to get a replacement card (through Verizon or the manufacturer of the card, probably Sandisk). How much data do you have??? I was just wondering because I am interested in whether the card has a bad memory segment and is just not reporting the correct size.

When you go to the properties of the card via Windows, what does it say?

-Mike

OP
J

Junside

Reaction score
If by data you mean how much memory I'm using, its at 50mb. The total space on the card in Settings claims there's only 2.83gb when its supposed to have 16gb.

I went to the Verizon store today and the representative said its a common issue with a lot of Droid customers. He said a new SD card would be sent to my billing address.

Hopefully problem solved. :) Thank youfor your help.

*Oh, sorry I didn't read your entire post. It shows the same amount of space when mounted. So maybe I did get a faulty SD card.