Screen turning off using touchscreen

moetrain

Reaction score
Gf has D4, got the first one of 4 delivered. Woke up today and anytime she touched the screen it would shut off the screen. There was a little red light on between the earpiece and the camera. Was very dim and is not the notification led. Anyone?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

XNAVYGAL

Reaction score
My screen is doing that also. It didn't last night when I was playing on it for a few hours.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

RoninX

Reaction score
I think the red light may be a low battery warning. Have you tried fully charging the battery, and then seeing whether this still happens?

OP
M

moetrain

Reaction score
Doing a few full power cycles. Will check back when it is fully charged. Hasn't happened all day though.

OP
M

moetrain

Reaction score
Think she figured it out. The very dim red light between the earpiece and front camera is only on when you have the in-pocket detection on. This sensor seems to think you put the phone away when you turn to landscape and start texting and accidentally cover it up.

To turn it off: Menu > Settings > Display. It is the last option.

Play around with it and see if unchecking this feature fixes the problem. Seems to be working here..

Metal_Mavrik

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that little red light is the ambient light sensor. What is probably happening is she's probably holding the phone in landscape and hitting the screen button on the top (or in landscape) the left side of the phone, with her hand. I do it all the time, especially when I'm laying down. Bit of a design flaw if you ask me, even the D1 had a bezel around the button that made turning the screen on and off a very deliberate action.

OP
M

moetrain

Reaction score
She has a case that shields the button a bit. Checked it out with the phone charged and it is just the light sensor when in pocket detection is turned on. Covered the sensor up avoiding touching the button and it did shut the screen off. So its just having to avoid covering the sensor when using the phone in landscape mode.

Problem solved!

YoJr

Reaction score
Think she figured it out. The very dim red light between the earpiece and front camera is only on when you have the in-pocket detection on. This sensor seems to think you put the phone away when you turn to landscape and start texting and accidentally cover it up.

Play around with it and see if unchecking this feature fixes the problem. Seems to be working here..

My wife had the same problem. She thought the phone was defective. After I found this feature and disabled it, it stopped. It basically is the same as the face detect. It senses something close to the sensor and turns the screen off. Useful but frustrating feature if you are someone that holds your phone, covering the sensor.

kenoshabrew

Reaction score

This is correct. Turning off in pocket detection should solve this problem.

reichbc

Reaction score
Gents, that little red light is the infrared LED and sensor. It's the little light that turns the screen off when you put it up to your ear in a phone call, to prevent pressing buttons. It is ALSO the ambient light sensor, but it only responds when the IR-LED isn't lit. In-Pocket didn't light that sensor up for me, at least if it did I didn't notice it.

kenoshabrew

Reaction score
Gents, that little red light is the infrared LED and sensor. It's the little light that turns the screen off when you put it up to your ear in a phone call, to prevent pressing buttons. It is ALSO the ambient light sensor, but it only responds when the IR-LED isn't lit. In-Pocket didn't light that sensor up for me, at least if it did I didn't notice it.

That's strange, it does seem to for me. I will double check though. I had assumed the IR light goes on with in pocket detection so that it can see the reflected IR light in your pocket, thereby knowing when to turn the screen off. Regardless, this feature seems to be more of a pain than it's worth. It seems to turn the screen off too easily if your hand just brushes by it.