Screen Rotate Bug? - RAZR Maxx

iqmike

Reaction score
bad theory

ok so I think i may have figured out a way to fix (or prevent) this bug from occurring; wanted to share. while i still haven't found the absolute cause of the problem i have found that if i let the screen time out while it's rotated horizontally it will stay like that until returning to the home screen, or any app that requires the vertical orientation. this then causes the auto-rotate to not work until rebooting the phone (POWER + VOL DOWN button). if you let the screen time out while it's vertical this doesn't seem to happen, and the auto-rotate will work fine. just a theory but so far so good, i've been trying to make sure to return to the home screen, or anything else using the regular orientation, before letting the screen time out.

I could not trigger the bug by letting the screen time out while in landscape mode. Tried several apps and screens, tried resuming right away, resuming afer 20 minutes and screen autorotated evrey time. Was working good for 3 days and then all of a sudden frozen in portrait mode.

I do notice that the compass and level functions on the swiss army knife app is jumping around like crazy while the bug is triggered. Reboot resets all back to normal untill the next instance.

trtuttle

Reaction score
Gotcha can't seem to figure it out either. It just happened again today. No reason. Thought it had gone away.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

ccgustavus

Reaction score
I had the same issue with the screens auto rotate...they started my phone in safemode, and then it didn't do it. They said that meant it was an app had, I did a reset and didn't install go launcher, and so far haven't had a problem. For what it's worth, I don't know how they started it in safemode, but it seems to be helpful.

trtuttle

Reaction score
Anyone else know how to get phone to start in safe mode

iqmike

Reaction score
I had the same issue with the screens auto rotate...they started my phone in safemode, and then it didn't do it. They said that meant it was an app had, I did a reset and didn't install go launcher, and so far haven't had a problem. For what it's worth, I don't know how they started it in safemode, but it seems to be helpful.

Leave it in safe mode for a week and post back your results.

Even if it works, is safe mode the answer? The whole point is to have a robust device. Might as well have a flip phone with alphanumeric
screen.

Of course its an app but its one thats preinstalled by Verizon or motorola.

The question is, is it a specific issue with Razr/Razr maxx or are there any other brands or models which have this bug?

swilson143

Reaction score
Same issue hear. Checked with two other RAZR users and they also have it, though not as frequently as me. Mine seems to do it 2-3 times a day.

OP
E

EXCellR8

Reaction score
OP UPDATE w/ Workaround Fix

So it turns out I was wrong about what I thought was causing the issue, but now I'm 99% sure I have isolated the problem. It has something to do with charging the phone via USB, or more specifically connecting the device to a computer system. After attaching the phone and letting the display time out or sit for a little (screen may still rotate while attached) it seems to "fix" the screen in the vertical orientation. I have no idea why though...

I have been using the wall charger for about a week now and the screen rotate has been working fine. My phone hasn't been rebooted in over a week and I've been using all of my apps regularly. Before it wouldn't even last a day without the screen rotate becoming locked so I'm going to say the source of the problem is USB connection to PC. I can't say if this is a desktop OS, mobile OS, or USB specific issue but it seems like for whatever reason connecting the phone to my computer causes the bug.

swilson143

Reaction score
I haven't been plugged into USB all day, but my auto rotation just locked up again.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Anyone else know how to get phone to start in safe mode

First power the phone off, then press and hold the power button until the phone begins to boot up. At any time between the initial red logo and before the phone vibrates at the end off the boot sequences with the droid eye in place press and hold both volume buttons and don't let go until after the phone vibrates. You will know you're successful if the phone vibrates 1 short and then 1 long vibration.

Once the boot sequence is finalized, when you reach the homepage you'll see in the bottom left hand corner the words safe mode.

The phone will function normally in every sense of the word except that you will not have any applications that were user installed available in the app tray, although some may appear on the home screen and will work from there. Also, no widgets will be available except for factory installed widgets.

To revert to normal boot at anytime simply power the phone down and power backup normally.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
E

EXCellR8

Reaction score
I haven't been plugged into USB all day, but my auto rotation just locked up again.

sorry to hear the problem persists on your device. i haven't had any issues since i abandoned charging my droid with my computer (took forever anyways), but it's very possible it may just be a coincidence. i haven't found ANY solid information on the problem or any ways to fix it for sure, but my guess is there is obviously something in the OS that triggers or locks the screen and does not allow it to rotate. i spoke with a verizon rep and they had no idea what to tell me, not surprised, but like i said i think it's more on the OS end and not the actual device. i would try motorola tech support but i think the best option would be to wait for an update.

2oldman

Reaction score
C'mon Motorola (Verizon.. whoever) get this fixed, please!! Don't make me wish I'd bought an iPhone!!

trtuttle

Reaction score
I hear you it had gone on now for too long. Is still happening to me. Very frustrating.

OP
E

EXCellR8

Reaction score
Mine phone is still okay if I don't use my PC to charge it up, but others have had different results.

C'mon Motorola (Verizon.. whoever) get this fixed, please!! Don't make me wish I'd bought an iPhone!!

Verizon is just the provider, so the problem doesn't really fall on them... it's basically up to Google and Motorola to sort this one out.

trtuttle

Reaction score
I just wish there was am end in sight.

chefdenny

Reaction score
Did anyone else have I-heart radio installed? ? I uninstalled and fixed problem.