Screen freezes on HTC Rezound

paulsvoice

Reaction score
I am perplexed because since I purchased the Rezound in November, I have been having non-reproducible issue with the screen freezing. While using some apps, the screen simply stops updating. I press the power button to blank the screen, and sometimes the lock screen reappears after a couple of seconds, sometimes I have to press the power button again for the lock screen to reappear. When I unlock the screen, sometimes I return to the app I was using, sometimes the front screen appears. Oddly, if it returns to the app, the app has been responding to my touches, but has not been updating the screen.

This is a mild inconvenience, and happens irregularly, from a few times consecutively to once every half-hour or so.

Of course, the Verizon rep suggested a factory reset, but I'll only do that as a last resort.

So, is this an issue anyone else has had and (hopefully) fixed, or is my phone just "special"?

BTW, my phone is not rooted and has been doing this since day 1.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

RezoundHound

Reaction score
This definitely sounds like a misbehaving app. I had a similar problem once, except it caused a "boot loop". The phone just kept rebooting over an over again. It turned out to be an app. I just removed the battery and then uninstalled that app. I can't even remember which app it was. Try this. Reboot your phone in "Safe Mode". This prevents drivers from loading and provides a clean running environment. To do this hold down the power button until you get the "Power Options" window. Then, click "Restart". As soon as the phone begins to restart press the power button and while still depressing it press the "Menu" button and hold both. You should hear three beeps and the phone should restart with the words "Safe Mode" in the lower left corner of the screen. Continue to use your phone as you normally would in Safe Mode and see if the problem is still present. If it isn't, then you know it's one of your apps that's causing the problem. All you have to do is pinpoint exactly which one. Think about which app you installed most prior to the problem first occurring.

RH

OP
P

paulsvoice

Reaction score
No luck

Hi there. Started in safe mode, but same thing.

Any suggestions for an app to remember my apps and screen layout for after the factory reset o_O

RezoundHound

Reaction score
Try This

Download ASTRO File Manager. It has an app back-up feature. From the splash screen click on "File Manager", "Menu (on the phone)" and then "Preferences". Change the Backup Directory to /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd/Astro Backups. Then, go back to the splash screen and select "Application Backup". Check the top box to select all apps and click "Backup". All of your apps are now backed up onto your SD card. You can reinstall them directly from the SD card or just use this as a list of which apps you had and then reinstall them from the Market.

Also, take screen shots of all of your home screens so you have a record of the layout. While holding down the power button, press the "Home" button. You should hear a camera click and the screen shot will be saved to your Gallery.

RH