Screen darkens and never re-lights during a call

dave.mclellan

Reaction score
New behavior on a Droid3 purchased in September: for some time, the screen would darken when I place or receive a call, but would re-light when I moved the phone away from the ear to view the screen during the call. Now, the screen remains dark all the time, unless I push the power button to lighten it. I can't find any configuration controls that I might have accidentally pushed to cause this.

Is it a bug? is the config control to restore the factory behavior? Is the automatic re-light the factory behavior?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave McLellan

doogald

Reaction score
Do you have a case or screen protector that is covering the proximity sensor on the top right of the front of the phone? It's just to the right of the speaker - there are three things there: proximity sensor, LED, front-facing camera.

OP
D

dave.mclellan

Reaction score
sure enough, that's it.

Absolutely, that was the problem. Thank you! Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!

I did cut a new screen protector recently, and had not yet correlated the date i put it on with the change in the behavior.

Thank you so much!

Do you have a case or screen protector that is covering the proximity sensor on the top right of the front of the phone? It's just to the right of the speaker - there are three things there: proximity sensor, LED, front-facing camera.