Screen blackout

zebra23

Reaction score
Why does my screen go black when I make a call instead of remaing open?

Taco

Reaction score
Does it happen only when you hold it to your face or as soon as you dial out?

Sent From A Taco Bell Drive-Thru.

hevm786

Reaction score
You might be in a dark environment or you might be covering the light sensor. You can turn off the automatic screen shutoff setting.

WTF??

Reaction score
Actually, I was just about to post up the EXACT same scenario...

Mine sporadically blacks out after I make an outbound call when I dont even put it up to my ear yet. I've tested it to a point where I would make an outbound call and immediately turn on the speakerphone w/o covering the proximity sensor while standing in a very lighted room. The phone blacks out as if I put the phone up to my ear.

Sometimes it gets as bad as the screen not turning back on AFTER the call ended. This is even after I've pushed the power button numerous times to turn on the screen! From that point, the only way I can get the screen on is to (1) plug in the charger, (2) wait for someone to call, or (3) do a battery-pull.

This gets soooooo annoying cuz after I make an outbound call, lets say Im calling a business that requires me to punch in numbers to be directed to the proper department, Im unable to dial those numbers as needed. This happens sporadically and I know to ensure to give light/distance to the proximity sensor....

I've tried to look for a setting to the sensor or outbound calls, but no luck...

Can anyone direct me to the proper fix?

chugga31

Reaction score
WTF?? said:
Actually, I was just about to post up the EXACT same scenario...

Mine sporadically blacks out after I make an outbound call when I dont even put it up to my ear yet. I've tested it to a point where I would make an outbound call and immediately turn on the speakerphone w/o covering the proximity sensor while standing in a very lighted room. The phone blacks out as if I put the phone up to my ear.

Sometimes it gets as bad as the screen not turning back on AFTER the call ended. This is even after I've pushed the power button numerous times to turn on the screen! From that point, the only way I can get the screen on is to (1) plug in the charger, (2) wait for someone to call, or (3) do a battery-pull.

This gets soooooo annoying cuz after I make an outbound call, lets say Im calling a business that requires me to punch in numbers to be directed to the proper department, Im unable to dial those numbers as needed. This happens sporadically and I know to ensure to give light/distance to the proximity sensor....

I've tried to look for a setting to the sensor or outbound calls, but no luck...

Can anyone direct me to the proper fix?

I have read that this can happen due to dust or debris accumulating on the proximity sensor. Try using a can of forced air (used to clean computers) and shoot it in the receiver hole at the top of your phone. The sensor is right below the hole. If this does not work, I read a factory rest may work. If both fail, it may be time to go to a Verizon store. You'll probably end up with a warranty replacement.

WTF??

Reaction score
I have read that this can happen due to dust or debris accumulating on the proximity sensor. Try using a can of forced air (used to clean computers) and shoot it in the receiver hole at the top of your phone.

Just gave that a try.... lets see if its true (over a range of calls of course)

Thanks

SamuelMSr

Reaction score
Not sure if you're phone has an option for "pocket detection" but if it does make sure it's OFF. Stupid option is very annoying.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2