Saving attachments from GMail?

windstrings

Reaction score
Big files sometimes bug out as well... :-/

Free app called 'attachemail" is what i use.... simply open it, browse to the file you want to send and it interfaces with gmail..... I've sent up to 18mb files. "haven't tried bigger"

It may take a few minutes for a file that big on wifi.. be patient.

Lock-N-Load

Reaction score
wow.. what a joke we cannot do this without a total hack method.

in the end, I just mounted it as USB and added the mp3.

mellooney

Reaction score
Saving attachments in Gmail

If you have Astro File Manager, there is a setting under preferences that allows you to download files. It gives a warning about having problems with previewing those attachments in Gmail, but I have not had an issue with this. When you GET an attachment, after checking this option, and you click preview, it gives you a choice to complete the action with Astro Downloader, among your other choices. When you choose Astro Downloader, you are given the option to save it with a file name of your choosing. It saves it to the "download" directory, but you can move it once it's there.

Good luck!

windstrings

Reaction score
If you have Astro File Manager, there is a setting under preferences that allows you to download files. It gives a warning about having problems with previewing those attachments in Gmail, but I have not had an issue with this. When you GET an attachment, after checking this option, and you click preview, it gives you a choice to complete the action with Astro Downloader, among your other choices. When you choose Astro Downloader, you are given the option to save it with a file name of your choosing. It saves it to the "download" directory, but you can move it once it's there.

Good luck!

Yes, it seems astro may have made blackmoon obsolete.....
I haven't tested larger than 19mb files but astro downloads them just fine if you have that checkmark "enable browser download" checked in preferences to download files.

it will say "fetching file".. thats when its actually being downloaded...
then if you choose astro it will prompt you to give it a name... "beware" you notice the extension as you will need the ".mp3" or whatever extension to actually play your file once you get it.

I still have blackmoon loaded just in case I ever have trouble with one I can try the other.. but so far to my knowledge they are even steven in abilities.
Works very well.

mellooney

Reaction score
Addendum to my original post. I understand Astro downloader only works on HTC phones. I was told that others need to use blackmoon.

PriestSyrinx

Reaction score
I didn't know about the Astro Dowloader thing. Good to know.

@mellooney, I just used it without issue on my Moto Droid. Not sure where you heard the HTC thing.

windstrings

Reaction score
I didn't know about the Astro Dowloader thing. Good to know.

@mellooney, I just used it without issue on my Moto Droid. Not sure where you heard the HTC thing.

I also know for a fact it works on the droid.. "but" try to download a very large file over 12mb or so and see.

I may be ok in that instance too.. I remember about a month ago they did come out with an update that gives the option to download with the browser "kinda misleading in the case of simply downloading from the gmail widget".

mellooney

Reaction score
Thanks PriestSyrinx and windstrings. A friend told me that, but it's good to know that it works on the Moto Droid. Maybe it didn't last time he checked. He's also got his rooted, so I don't know if that makes a difference (I doubt it). Anyway, good to know it works on others. Hey, doesn't hurt to try, and it's fairly simple. I haven't tried using it for anything larger than 4 mb yet, so I don't know how it handles large files.

thePITman

Reaction score
I had to forward it to my Yahoo mail account and was able to download it... but not from Gmail. Kind of annoying, I must say.