Sapphire and battery issues

Rhino413

Reaction score
Hello All

For those of you using sapphire and having battery issues. first things first
from what I've been able to find it points to the general design of Froyo not just sapphire. I came from using Bugless Beast éclair (2.1) to froyo (0.4) to sapphire and the battery life was way better in 2.1 now that being said. Im not about to switch back to 2.1 for a few more hrs of battery life. So i went on a quest and found a solution for sapphire and BB froyo builds and this should work for any foryo rom.

First I located a battery app called Ultimate-juice/Juice-defender on the market
now this app didn't work for Verizon phones or froyo when I read reviews but the dev fixed both issues and it works great. the biggest advantage to this app is it can be set to shut down all radios on your phone when in sleep (IE no 3G, bluetooth, or wireless) the cell radio still works so you can still recieve calls and texts. this app was getting me 14hrs of heavy use out of my stock standard Battery vs the 20 to 25hrs of heavy usage on my stock extended battery (will get to this in a min).

Second was to get an app called JuicePlotter same dev as previous app
this app provides a graphic log of battery use and it is very accurate

third I went to a LV kernel and got rid of setcpu and let the built in cpu engine in gem settings take over and selected to the new interactive governor. I lose the ability to have profile like in setcpu but I find the built in controller does a more efficient job.

and last but not least i purchased the extended battery for the droid 2 from Verizon and yes it works for the droid 1 and no the original droid battery cover will not fit and yes it comes with a new cover that works on the droid 1 and no it is not black and yes it is blue like the droid 2. and yes the OG droid correctly reads the extended battery both charge and temp.

with this setup im getting 20 to 25hrs of heavy usage. lots of web surfing several widgets 6 home screens lots of apps. Pandora for several hrs tons i mean hundreds of texts and emails. and my phone goes from 100 % at 7am to 20% at around 11pm it still has several hrs left of life at that point but i usually do not so I charge it and go to bed.

the one exception to this setup has been flash running flash videos really eats battery life and heats up the device as well. Flash has been great just not a big fan of it so far i think its to intensive for such tiny devices.

wingdo

Reaction score
First I located a battery app called Ultimate-juice/Juice-defender on the market
now this app didn't work for Verizon phones or froyo when I read reviews but the dev fixed both issues and it works great. the biggest advantage to this app is it can be set to shut down all radios on your phone when in sleep (IE no 3G, bluetooth, or wireless) the cell radio still works so you can still recieve calls and texts. this app was getting me 14hrs of heavy use out of my stock standard Battery vs the 20 to 25hrs of heavy usage on my stock extended battery (will get to this in a min).

How then does the phone keep your corporate push e-mail running?

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I have been running Sapphire for a while now without any battery issues. In fact it's the BEST battery life I have gotten. I can get through a typical day without a problem (10-11 hours between charges). Even then, when I put it on the charger at the end of the day I am between 40 & 60% depending on how many calls I made/received.

droiddadi

Reaction score
My experience with battery life running Saphire hasn't been great . I have only Exchange push running in the background and nothing else.

It s been slightly better with CM6 and UD.

droiddadi

Reaction score
OP
Rhino413

Rhino413

Reaction score
Well I never stated that sapphire had horrible battery life just
Not good as eclair did. As for the push email question I don't have a
Corporate email running. But you can adjust ultimate juice to turn 3G on while in sleep
The default is it turns it on for 15secs every 15mins. This allows a refresh of emails

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I get far better battery life now than I ever did on any eclair ROM.

Armyof2

Reaction score
I get far better battery life now than I ever did on any eclair ROM.

using what kernel?

125-1000 LV.

On eclair 125 MHz was basically unusable, my phone could not wake up when operating at that clock speed.

even now i run the 250-1000LV because of a bit of stuttering i get with the 125-1000 on wake...so far so good though my battery seems like a non issue ...then again it's plugged in when it's in my car so it gets a boost a couple times a day