Samsung Update Breaks Fascinate Mounting Feature

dld2517

Reaction score
Temporary Solution for Mac Users Found

Here is my TEMPORARY fix for the issue….

Ok I have SUCCESSFULLY and REPEATEDLY achieved mounting of the SD Card over 12 times in a row without failure by following the below procedure.

Look in About This Mac / More Info / System Profiler / USB and see the node point of your phone’s SD Card. Mine is /dev/disk1

Have a terminal window open with the following command ready to execute:

gpt show /dev/disk1Connect the Phone

In the Notifications screen, repeatedly, about five times do:
1. USB Connection -> MOUNT
2. Turn Off USB Storage -> TURN OFF
Repeat x 5 quickly

At some point when the Mac is confused as to what the hey is going on (after about the fifth time of mounting and un-mounting the card, Mount it ONE MORE TIME and immediately EXECUTE the command in the terminal window.

You should see your Memory card appear with Read/Write access.I do not understand why this works, but it does. Something about probing the USB Interface.

Any one of you Mac pros want to tell me what is going on here and why this works? So far this is the ONLY method that I have been able to reproduce OVER and OVER again successfully.

This has made me SO mad.Thanks,
Dan D.

OS X 10.6.6, iMac Intel, 3.33 GHz, 4 GB Ram

Reaction score
Works fine for me with no issues, just mounted it today to download some songs and use the usb tethering.

Shipley

Reaction score
I can't mount anymore, thats for sure. I took a 3 minute video of my daughter crawling to send to my relative via facebook and I can't transfer it to my computer and the file is "too large" to send even over Wifi.

Ridiculous. I was a huge booster of this phone up until about 3 hours ago when I went looking for help and all I see is one person after another crapping on it.

I'll call verizon customer service tomorrow, see if I can get my phone rolled back or exchanged for another device that actually works.

Shipley

Reaction score
Here is my TEMPORARY fix for the issue….

Ok I have SUCCESSFULLY and REPEATEDLY achieved mounting of the SD Card over 12 times in a row without failure by following the below procedure.

Look in About This Mac / More Info / System Profiler / USB and see the node point of your phone’s SD Card. Mine is /dev/disk1

Have a terminal window open with the following command ready to execute:

gpt show /dev/disk1Connect the Phone

In the Notifications screen, repeatedly, about five times do:
1. USB Connection -> MOUNT
2. Turn Off USB Storage -> TURN OFF
Repeat x 5 quickly

At some point when the Mac is confused as to what the hey is going on (after about the fifth time of mounting and un-mounting the card, Mount it ONE MORE TIME and immediately EXECUTE the command in the terminal window.

You should see your Memory card appear with Read/Write access.I do not understand why this works, but it does. Something about probing the USB Interface.

Any one of you Mac pros want to tell me what is going on here and why this works? So far this is the ONLY method that I have been able to reproduce OVER and OVER again successfully.

This has made me SO mad.Thanks,
Dan D.

OS X 10.6.6, iMac Intel, 3.33 GHz, 4 GB Ram

OK so do I have to open a terminal window EVERY TIME I sync? This us ludicrous. I'm not a computer guy. This is why I own a mac in the first place. I switched to android on a whim and now less than 30 days into my phone I have to start hacking the matrix to tell morpheous and neo load up some music on my phone before the evil agents come.

hell, I don't even understand these instructions and I've seen variations of them everywhere.

jcos

Reaction score
I just synced my Fascinate to my PC last night. This is what worked for me: go to Settings>USB Settings> and change it to "Ask on Connection". Then plug your phone into your computer via USB. It'll ask you what you'd like to connect as; choose "mass storage" and then wait about 30 seconds. your phone should then give you the option to mount the sd card. Like i said it worked for me last night...[/QUOTE]

This worked for me as well - I am new to droid and was getting pretty frustrated with trying to transfer my calendar and contacts from Palm Treo. This forum is a life-saver - I was ready to return this phone. Thanks.dancedroid

Reaction score
My wife just got a Fascinate this week and this is what I did to get her SD card to mount on her PC. When I plugged it in, it would recognize it as a CD-rom. At that prompt, I told it to open a folder to view files. There is an executable file that is the new samsung driver. I ran that and her phone will mount without problems. It looks like there is an autorun that is supposed to do this for you, but it fails to run correctly.