Samsung Update Breaks Fascinate Mounting Feature

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

It seems that not only is Samsung keeping FroYo from us, but apparently the updates they provide take away valuable features. The latest maintenance update for the Fascinate has caused a lot of anger for some. This new fix has broken the ability to mount their device to their computers. This problem seems to affect people using both Mac’s and PC's, and some say it might even cause problems with Linux users as well. Regardless of what you use, you might want this feature enabled again, and until Samsung fixes it… Phandroid has these directions for you.

There’s a way around it if you’re on a Windows-based PC at least. (Side note: Macs are PCs, whether you like it or not.) Download and install this 113 MB V Cast application. Download an obscure program called ToolLauncher-Bootstap.exe to install some obscure drivers that you’ll need to fix this obscure issue. Then, follow these instructions:
1) Unplug your Fascinate from the computer.
2) Download and install V CAST Media Manager. During the install process, when you are prompted for “If your phone requires a driver, select it from the list below”, do not select anything. Instead click install and let it finish installing.
2) On Fascinate Go to settings > applications > development and uncheck USB Debugging.
3) On Fascinate Go to settings > USB settings > and check Mass storage.
4) Plug Fascinate into PC and run ToolLauncer-Bootstrap.exe
5) A popup will display in your system tray saying software is available that will help your Atlas (SCH-I500) communicate with your PC. Click Yes. It will now install USB drivers.
To view the rest of the steps… Follow the source link.

Source (Latest Verizon Fascinate Maintenance Upgrade Killed Your USB Mounting? | Android Phone Fans)

Last edited by a moderator:

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm sure there are some good things about Samsung phones, but all I've been reading lately is one disappointment after another. Hope Samsung gets their act together before they start losing money on their mobile ventures!

akwest66

Reaction score
Can't even download VCast Manager

Thank you so much for the post on the recent problems with the Verizon upgrade. I am unable to sync to CompanionLink...grrr. However, I tried doing the fix as described and as soon as I try and download the VCast Manager the screen immediately says Internet Explorer cannot connect. There is nothing wrong with the connection. I have tried several times. I even went right to the Verizon site to download and this happened repeatedly. I am besides myself as I need to sync my info. This is crazy! Any help is appreciated.

One Frustrated Droid User
Allison

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Unless it's a Google-managed phone, I will NEVER buy a Samsung Android device until they prove over and over that they deserve my business. As it is now, ain't no way! And Motorola, I'm done with your locked bootloader crap too. HTC, what do you have that deserves my money?

zgruven

Reaction score
Great I am really hating this phone!!! I wonder if I can use this for my arguement to return my phone (since i am way past my 30 day window) and get a different brand of smart phone?!?!?!?! I liked the phone at first but now they are pissing me off!!!

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There’s a way around it if you’re on a Windows-based PC at least. (Side note: Macs are PCs, whether you like it or not.) Download and install this 113 MB V Cast application. Download an obscure program called ToolLauncher-Bootstap.exe to install some obscure drivers that you’ll need to fix this obscure issue. Then, follow these instructions:
1) Unplug your Fascinate from the computer.
2) Download and install V CAST Media Manager. During the install process, when you are prompted for “If your phone requires a driver, select it from the list below”, do not select anything. Instead click install and let it finish installing.
2) On Fascinate Go to settings > applications > development and uncheck USB Debugging.
3) On Fascinate Go to settings > USB settings > and check Mass storage.
4) Plug Fascinate into PC and run ToolLauncer-Bootstrap.exe
5) A popup will display in your system tray saying software is available that will help your Atlas (SCH-I500) communicate with your PC. Click Yes. It will now install USB drivers.
To view the rest of the steps… Follow the source link.

Source (Latest Verizon Fascinate Maintenance Upgrade Killed Your USB Mounting? | Android Phone Fans)[/QUOTE]

Nothing new here. As far as I know this is the way all Galaxy 2.2 devices work. Certainly is true of my Glalaxy Tab.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Great I am really hating this phone!!! I wonder if I can use this for my arguement to return my phone (since i am way past my 30 day window) and get a different brand of smart phone?!?!?!?! I liked the phone at first but now they are pissing me off!!!

It might be worth a shot. You might have to jump through hoops (take it to a retail store to be replaced since yours is defective, when the next one is defective, do the same thing, until you do it 3 times and claim lemon law).

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Reading all the recent news about Samsung pretty much makes me discount them as an option for an upgrade this year.

tondraj

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the post on the recent problems with the Verizon upgrade. I am unable to sync to CompanionLink...grrr. However, I tried doing the fix as described and as soon as I try and download the VCast Manager the screen immediately says Internet Explorer cannot connect. There is nothing wrong with the connection. I have tried several times. I even went right to the Verizon site to download and this happened repeatedly. I am besides myself as I need to sync my info. This is crazy! Any help is appreciated.

One Frustrated Droid User
Allison

I just synced my Fascinate to my PC last night. This is what worked for me: go to Settings>USB Settings> and change it to "Ask on Connection". Then plug your phone into your computer via USB. It'll ask you what you'd like to connect as; choose "mass storage" and then wait about 30 seconds. your phone should then give you the option to mount the sd card. Like i said it worked for me last night...

grgguy

Reaction score
Unless it's a Google-managed phone, I will NEVER buy a Samsung Android device until they prove over and over that they deserve my business. As it is now, ain't no way! And Motorola, I'm done with your locked bootloader crap too. HTC, what do you have that deserves my money?

I agree as far as Samsung is concerned , But the rest of this is Idiotic. What are you gonna get Hmmm an LG or a Sony I think not . Quit blowing hot air and be real or better yet go get an Iphone !Dumbass !

cj1896

Reaction score
I haven't read one positive thing about Sammy's phones in a long time. I would encourage anyone I know to stay away! Did anyone see their keynote at CES? That was enough to throw up a huge red flag. As far as Moto's locked bootloaders go it looks like we have a good workaround for now. I am still waiting for HTC to bring the heat with some dual core goodness.

jpeanes

Reaction score
backdoor

just got my phone to mount, this is what i did:

*this phone was not rooted*

with these settings,
-usb debugging disabled
-unknown sources (non market app install) allowed
-[i think] in usb settings, under the mount options or whatever the third
option is, i had "ask on connection" enabled

went to mount the phone, selected "select to copy files to/from pc" and selected mount two or three times without it mounting, turned on usb debugging and it mounted itself.

hope this works for you