Samsung Supposedly Already Has 20 Million Pre-orders for the Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge Combined [Updated]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-Galaxy-S6-Vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S6-Edge-Side-by-Side.jpg

If this report turns out to be true, it could mean a great many Samsung fans might have simply skipped the Galaxy S5 in order to get the Galaxy S6. Either that, or folks across the globe were simply blown away by the S6 and S6 Edge.

According to a top executive at a leading mobile carrier in Europe Samsung already has received 20 Million preorders for the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge. Here's a direct quote,
"Samsung received some 20 million pre-orders for the S6 and S6 Edge _ 15 million of S6 and five million of the S6 Edge from mobile carriers, worldwide. This is the record,"

If these pre-orders actually sell through, then it would be a phenomenal success for Samsung and give them new bragging rights against their other Android competitors and the Apple iPhone series. Still, it's important to note that something similar happened last year with the Galaxy S5.

During that pre-order rush, Sammy counted on a large glut of pre-orders that didn't all pan out. Part of this is because pre-orders are comprised of carrier reservations, which don't always translate into actual sales. With the Galaxy S5, sales fell below 40% of what Samsung estimated. Despite this reservation, it should still be good news for the South Korean tech giant. These pre-order numbers are incredible even if they don't all pan out.

Here's our dedicated Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge section for further discussion: Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge General Discussions Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Update: After doing some digging, it turns out that the report from Korea Times was not explicit enough. It looks like @bsweetness was right, the 20 Million number was pre-orders FROM CARRIERS, and not from individuals. We will need to wait and see how this translates into actual sell through numbers. It obviously means the carriers are confident in the phone.

Source: Korea Times

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Do they consider stores ordering stock as pre orders or actual individuals buying them? If its stores, that number doesn't matter for squat.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Didn't they have huge pre sale numbers for the S5 as well? I think it was iPhone 5, maybe 5s, that went through the same initial huge numbers only to adjust them after launch. That I remember sent a glitch into their stock numbers due to cutting production in half after launch.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Do they consider stores ordering stock as pre orders or actual individuals buying them? If its stores, that number doesn't matter for squat.

Exactly. It's important to note that approximately 20 million devices have been ordered by carriers. These are not pre-orders by actual users. This number only reflects that carriers anticipate they will be a big seller, not that they actually are a big seller.

The original post, and several other stories online, doesn't make that crystal clear. For most people, the term "pre-order" applies to end users ordering something ahead of time, not to retailers ordering their stock.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
If the Price is right for the S6 Edge, i will be getting it. If its the Same 399.99 as the Note Edge then no chance.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If the Price is right for the S6 Edge, i will be getting it. If its the Same 399.99 as the Note Edge then no chance.
I saw a rumor for $400 , or more depending on memory you want , ON contact

moonlifekiss

Reaction score
Yeah right. Well, I guess I just have to wait when the price mark down, I'm pretty sure it's going to be expensive

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
$400 on contract?

Ouch, Smart phones are getting up there now.

Looks like they're heading back to where they used to be, at least with certain models. When I first got into smartphones (with the early Windows devices that came before the iPhone and Android), they were regularly $600 and up on contract. The original iPhone (2007) was released at $600 on contract.

It's really only been in the last 7 years that we've seen smartphone prices around $199 on contract. It's become the generally expected and accepted price for a base model, and I expect that price to remain for a lot of devices (the S6 included). We're just going to see more variants with higher prices (like the S6 Edge).

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly. It's important to note that approximately 20 million devices have been ordered by carriers. These are not pre-orders by actual users. This number only reflects that carriers anticipate they will be a big seller, not that they actually are a big seller.

The original post, and several other stories online, doesn't make that crystal clear. For most people, the term "pre-order" applies to end users ordering something ahead of time, not to retailers ordering their stock.

Edit: After doing some digging, it turns out that the report from Korea Times was not explicit enough. It looks like @bsweetness was right, the 20 Million number was pre-orders FROM CARRIERS, and not from individuals. We will need to wait and see how this translates into actual sell through numbers.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like Cyanogen's reports of Sammie's demise were greatly exaggerated.
And all the bloviating about not buying one because it loses the removable battery and card. The masses seem to be content with an Apple device or Apple clone device.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
And all the bloviating about not buying one because it loses the removable battery and card. The masses seem to be content with an Apple device or Apple clone device.

Ehhh, the only way you could really determine that is if you had an otherwise identical phone that had a removable battery and SD card. I've yet to see the perfect phone - they all have their trade-offs.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As far as people complaining in forums about a lack of a non-removable battery and/or lack of the micro SD card slot... I would be willing to bet that most consumers don't know or care about that at all. These features are popular in the blogs and forums with tech-heads like us, but the average customer doesn't care about those things.

jakenader123

Reaction score
I actually don't like SD cards because you can't install apps on them and also Samsung seemed to spend less money on the nand flash in the phone. I would say faster ram and faster storage are the most important parts of a phone. It will make apps load faster and make the phone fly. Samsung could have made it easier to remove the battery like on the iPhone 4s, it was extremely easy to replace but nothing like the galaxy series.

Last edited: