Samsung Secures Flexible Display Patent, Product Expected in 2013

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Good point on price. This is about as revolutionary as we've seen in screen tech in a long time so the initial pricepoint will definitely reflect that.

This is OLED tech, correct? LG had a 55" OLED (16.5lbs, 4mm thick!) at CES that is supposed to retail around $8k, predicted to drop by over 50% at the end of 2013.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is OLED tech, correct? LG had a 55" OLED (16.5lbs, 4mm thick!) at CES that is supposed to retail around $8k, predicted to drop by over 50% at the end of 2013.

I think I'll wait till it drops 75%...haha

jayman350

Reaction score
this is extremely cool and revolutionary tech. Like someone said before, this is a game-changer. The possibilities for this are endless, roll up TV screens, wraparound TVs (forget surround sound, how about surround screen), touchscreen devices that no longer have to conform to any specific form factor (generic rectangular slabs), etc, etc.

However, even if it does come out in 2013, early, late, whatever, chances are I won't be able to afford it for at least a few more years after that. I love checking out new tech, but for price reasons I usually wait until the second gen products are available, and I have a feeling that these are going to be expen$$$$$$ive.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I smell patent Backlash... Or am I the only one who has seen the movie,"Red Planet" and its use of a flex pull out device, lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

JoeyJ

Reaction score
Just wondering are batteries and everything else inside electronics flexible?

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

krush22

Reaction score
Yes !! But what about battery life.

I assume flexible screens would be shatter & scratch resistant. You could have a field day making commercial after commercial comparing a naked new Sammie phone vs. an IPhone with a bulky protective case.

It is a game changer. But it's yet to be seen if they can truly bring this to market in 2013 at an affordable (and profitable) price. We saw prototypes of flexible screens 3-4 years ago, so maybe 2013 is a possibility. They say 2013, probably thinking late late 2013, and probably means more like late 2014/early 2015.

Everything evolves around battery life. When this game changer reaches the market, hopefully it will have killer battery life of two weeks talk time or more. What do you think?

B0B0

Reaction score
saw flexible LCD screens a few years ago on discovery. Took them long enough to get the idea on paper.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If they do this really right, it could definitely sway me to upgrade (maybe even pay retail) a phone with otherwise marginal improvements in specs. A row of "smart" capacitative buttons along one or more sides/edges of the phone would free-up valuable screen real estate while still being ultra convenient. The challenge to get it "right" is avoiding accidental presses because that's where we hold the phone.

B0B0

Reaction score
I smell patent Backlash... Or am I the only one who has seen the movie,"Red Planet" and its use of a flex pull out device, lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

First thing I thought of when I saw the thread title :p

TatDroid

Reaction score
To me, this shows where Apple's current strategy is a very SHORT TERM one.

Apple is not a manufacturer. They work WITH manufacturers to develop new products. As they piss off more and more manufacturers (*cough* Samsung *cough*) they will have less and less opportunity to innovate going forward. Do you think Samsung will license this technology to Apple? (at least at a price that they can use profitably).

It's going to be VERY interesting to see how all of this mobile phone mess plays itself out in the next few years!

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are there any other phone manufacturers besides Samsung that make their own screens, memory, processors, etc.? Samsung licenses patented technologies but they manufacture most of their own components, do they not?

Reaction score
Even though the screen is flexible, you still need chips on a circuit board, battery, etc.