Samsung Releases Pricing And Availability of Their New Galaxy Tablet Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-lineup-samsung-420x322.jpg

Samsung is really keeping their momentum going regarding tablet and other devices. They just announced the pricing and availability of their newest Galaxy Tab lineup:
Galaxy Player 3.6
  • Available at Best Buy
  • 3.65-inch HVGA display
  • 1GHz Cortex A8 CPU
  • 2 meg rear facing camera
  • VGA front-facing camera
  • 8GB of internal storage
  • expandable to 40GB’s
  • Gingerbread 2.3
  • WiFi Only
  • $149.99 price tag
Galaxy Player 4.2
  • 4.2-inch WVGA display
  • 1GHz Cortex A8 CPU
  • Expandable to 40GB
  • SoundAlive audio enhancement engine on-board
  • Gingerbread 2.3
  • TouchWiz UI Overlay
  • Pre-orders May 4th, launching on May 13th for $199.99
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
  • 7-inch 1024 x 600 display
  • Expandable to 40GB or 50GB of free Dropbox storage for 1 year
  • Dual-core 1GHz CPU
  • Android 4.0 ICS
  • TouchWiz UI
  • Launching April 22nd for $249.99, Pre-orders begin April 12th
Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
  • 10.1-inch 1280 x 800 display
  • Dual-core 1GHz CPU
  • 16GB of internal storage
  • Micro SDHC support
  • 50GB of free Dropbox storage for 1 year
  • 3 meg rear camera
  • VGA front-facing camera
  • ICS 4.0
  • TouchWiz UI
  • Built-in IR blaster & Samsung remote software for HDTV
  • Pre-orders May 4th, launching May 13th for $399.99
They are really working hard to dominate the market with a large swath of powerful devices. Which of these devices intrigue you?

Source: GalaxyTabForums.net via TalkAndroid

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Waitwaitwaitwait...the 10.1" is listing at $399??? :blink: Are you sure about that???

I understand the 7" at $250 (Fire, Nook, "Nexus" tab, etc.) but come on -- even if the 10.1's specs are not through the roof (yeah, yeah, sure...quad cores are de rigueur these days) that's a whole new pricing model for Samsung. Wow.

-Matt

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I think I'll be jumping on the tablet bandwagon soon.

So far my picks are this Galaxy Tab 2 7", the ASUS
MeMO 370T, and the rumored Nexus Tab. All within the $200 price range. Which IMO is perfect.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think I'll be jumping on the tablet bandwagon soon.

So far my picks are this Galaxy Tab 2 7", the ASUS
MeMO 370T, and the rumored Nexus Tab. All within the $200 price range. Which IMO is perfect.
Have you handled a 7" tablet yet? I'd suggest borrowing one for a few days, and getting to know it well. In the end, the 10" niche (Asus Transformer) ended up being the right form-factor for me -- my wife's Nook Color is PERFECT for ebooks, but I found email and especially web-browsing to be just a bit too cramped with 7". Of course YMMV!

-Matt

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Have you handled a 7" tablet yet? I'd suggest borrowing one for a few days, and getting to know it well. In the end, the 10" niche (Asus Transformer) ended up being the right form-factor for me -- my wife's Nook Color is PERFECT for ebooks, but I found email and especially web-browsing to be just a bit too cramped with 7". Of course YMMV!

-Matt

Defiantly something I'm thinking about. The price is really what's pulling me towards them. They all seem to have great specs, and what not. The ASUS one somewhat bothers me, because it lacks a FFC. Which IMO would be better on a tablet then a rear facing camera. For video chatting and what not. Who in their right minds would use a tablet to snap photos?

All I really want a tablet for is easier portability. My laptop is old with a dead battery, and a sensitive power jack. My phones good, but sometimes honestly would be nicer on a tablet. Especially, showing stuff off, or other activities.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
$399 is a pretty good pricepoint for the 10 incher. I also agree with the poster that said 7 is to small. Friend has the Fire and it's too small for me (and clunky, but that's just the Fire).
I'm a diehard HTC'er but at $399... might have to add that to my Xmas list. Of course there's a lot of time til then...

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
Honestly those small Galaxy Players intrigue me as an alternative to an iPod touch. I have a Thunderbolt, but I've scratched it up a bit when I use it for music in the gym :icon_eek:. If I could find a small and durable case I just may pick one of those little babies up!

Edit: I hope they have an AMOLED screen!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Defiantly something I'm thinking about. The price is really what's pulling me towards them.

All I really want a tablet for is easier portability. My laptop is old with a dead battery, and a sensitive power jack. My phones good, but sometimes honestly would be nicer on a tablet. Especially, showing stuff off, or other activities.
I'm totally with you on the price. Our Nook Color has a good year or two left in it (though we may need to replace the power cable) -- and still, for $200-$250 I'm MIGHTY tempted to pick up a 7" tablet to replace the Nook. I know my wife will only use it as an ereader (grrr) but for the price, and pretty good specs, it's hard to pass one up. I'm curious what the Google tablet will end up looking like, so it's a wait at least until July-ish.

Regarding your search for a device that fits in between phone and tablet, I have to say the Transformer with integrated dock/keyboard is AMAZING. As long as you realize it's an Android device, and not a notebook replacement -- the first time you snap on the dock, then fold it closed, open it up again -- it handles a whole bunch of notebook tasks well (but not "major" document creation/editing), travels light, 12+ hours with the dock. I heavily recommend it (I love how people go "OH!" when I disconnect the tablet from the dock, "I thought it was a netbook..."). Still, I know many people can get most of their entertainment and light work done on something under 10".

-Matt