Samsung New Flagships

deborah3756

Reaction score
Who, out there, is chomping at the bit to buy either the Galaxy S6 or the Galaxy S6 Edge? I don't know, even though the Galaxy S5 has gotten some bad press/reviews, I've been quite happy with it. Any thoughts?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I love everything about this device, except for the non-removable battery & lack of ext sd card. Otherwise it looks like a great device. I was only able to spend a couple minutes with the regular S6, but I'm looking forward to spending some real time with the S6 Edge this wknd at our Best Buys Samsung Experience section this weekend.
Enjoy your new S6 Deborah!

S5 tap'n

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I just got back from Verizon... Awesome feeling phones.. too bad most peeps won't carry them around without a case.. I kinda like the S6 over the Edge feel.. Omg felt so small since I use my Nexus daily... Peeps going to be happy with it..

Tapped by Nexus SIX

moot

Reaction score
I just got back from Verizon... Awesome feeling phones.. too bad most peeps won't carry them around without a case.. I kinda like the S6 over the Edge feel.. Omg felt so small since I use my Nexus daily... Peeps going to be happy with it..

Tapped by Nexus SIX

I usually carry phones without cases, but I found the s6 SURPRISINGLY slippery after a couple days of use, and ended up getting a non slip spigen case for it.

I have insurance from t mobile jump, but since there's like a $200 deductible, I'm going to go with a case for the time being. The case makes the phone super bulky, but at least I know it wont fall out of my pants when I get out of cars or slip out when I'm grabbing for it in my pockets. Also, the case doesn't seem to interfere with wireless charging which was a huge plus in getting me to use a case.

But man, I'm really hating touchwiz and all the pop ups Samsung puts in (I usually have nexus phones). I can't wait for a stock rom.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I thought I was done with Samsung but the S6 has caught my eye. No SD card and removable battery isn't too big of a deal for me. Battery wise, I have a spare, but rarely swap out, I did last night and was planning on doing so so I ran my battery to <10%. SD card wise, I use about 30gb total so far, but can definitely cut back if need be, I may opt for the 64GB version should I end up going with the S6.

I'm not sure how I feel about the glass back. I am very careful with my phones, but with the slimness of the device and the fact it's glass on the back I may have to reconsider my choice of not DD a case. I do put a case on my s4 when I'm out playing basketball or something that's more active (I like to leave my phone nearby the court, no I don't play with it in my pocket :p), but just laying the s6 down could result in a few scuffs.

moot

Reaction score
. Battery wise, I have a spare, but rarely swap out, I did last night and was planning on doing so so I ran my battery to <10%.

I would consider myself a heavy user, so I rarely make it throughout the day. I also have really bad signal at work, so my battery drains like crazy.

What are your thoughts on getting 2 wireless chargers, one at work and one at home, and just leaving it on the mat when I'm not using it. Any damages to the battery or the phone that you can think of? I usually keep phones for one year.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would consider myself a heavy user, so I rarely make it throughout the day. I also have really bad signal at work, so my battery drains like crazy.

What are your thoughts on getting 2 wireless chargers, one at work and one at home, and just leaving it on the mat when I'm not using it. Any damages to the battery or the phone that you can think of? I usually keep phones for one year.
When a battery is fully charged it's best to take it off the charger. A battery only has a certain amount of cycles it can go through throughout its lifetime. With each charge you do, the life of the battery suffers and it isn't able to hold as much of a charge as it used to when it was new.

Also since the s6 supports fast charging, even for a power user you should be able to make it throughout the day.

My thoughts on keeping it on the wireless charging pad, if it's charged take it off. By keeping it on the charger after it's been fully charged you may be shortening the life of the battery even more. I'm no battery expert, our local staff member @FoxKat is though and he's got a couple threads around here that cover the topic very well.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
When a battery is fully charged it's best to take it off the charger. A battery only has a certain amount of cycles it can go through throughout its lifetime. With each charge you do, the life of the battery suffers and it isn't able to hold as much of a charge as it used to when it was new.

Also since the s6 supports fast charging, even for a power user you should be able to make it throughout the day.

My thoughts on keeping it on the wireless charging pad, if it's charged take it off. By keeping it on the charger after it's been fully charged you may be shortening the life of the battery even more. I'm no battery expert, our local staff member @FoxKat is though and he's got a couple threads around here that cover the topic very well.
I'm in total agreement. Even though it will only refresh the charge between 90% and 100%, after 10 refreshes is the same as wasting one full charge. Charge fully overnight, boost charge in short periods as needed throughout the day.

moot

Reaction score
I'm in total agreement. Even though it will only refresh the charge between 90% and 100%, after 10 refreshes is the same as wasting one full charge. Charge fully overnight, boost charge in short periods as needed throughout the day.

Thanks dezymod and foxkat, good to know.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Launch date here is the 20th. I'm going to do a touchy feely and if all is goo, the Edge comes home with me.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I finally had a chance to spend a good amount of time with both the S6 & S6 Edge yesterday and TBH I just can't see making the S6 Edge my DD. It's a good looking device I'll admit, but the more I used it the more gimmicky it felt.
To start with, it was extremely laggy until I turned off all the animations. Much moreso than my S5 was when I first got it. I'm talking real bad. Even with the animations off, my 9mo old S5 was faster opening up pretty much every application. Most of the reviews I read made note of this, but I had no idea it would be so noticeable. Most reviews also pointed out the S6's camera opened much faster than the S5....while this is true, it wasn't by much.
Again, it IS a beautiful device but as others have pointed out, the beauty of the device is wasted because you don't dare use this phone as a daily driver without a case because of the glass back and fully exposed screen. So now you're faced with the problem of finding a case that actually protects AND gives you the freedom to enjoy the actual design of dual edges.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the design of the S6 Edge, I just wasn't all that impressed after spending 30 minutes playing with it. Granted that isn't all that much time, but it was enough for me to know that, if given a choice, I'd spend my money on the regular S6 and enjoy the beast within, as opposed to the external beauty of the Edge variant. It felt like a toy it was so light. The screen was bright and beautiful but overall, I just didn't feel the "wow" factor I was expecting.
If I had to choose, I'd go with the regular S6 over the Edge. Since I have a choice, I'll pass on both simply due to the lack of both a removable battery and external sd card. Like the S3 to S4 and the S4 to S5, the improved specs & camera would be a welcomed improvement, but like many Galaxy S owners before me, not enough to justify the upgrade.

S5 tap'n

Caesars

Reaction score
Hmm the demo at my local tmobile store was very snappy and responsive.

Now I need to go test it again! Lol

Reactions: cr6