Samsung Galaxy S6 Tips & Tricks (Top 5 & More)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s6-edge-and-s6-edge-angled-pastels.png

Since the Samsung Galaxy S6 (and its Edge variant) is one of the hottest new flagship Android smartphones on the planet we thought it would be worthwhile to startup a Tips & Tricks section for the device. Ultimately, you guys can find and share far more interesting tips and tricks than we could find.

Rather than create a huge list of our favorites, we will instead kick things off with just a small top 5 Samsung Galaxy S6 (and/or Sg Edge) tips and tricks, and let you guys share anything you have found or figured out in the thread too. Here's our first five to get the ball rolling:

Remove the briefing screen - Samsung previously called this feature "My Magazine," but this year it's been renamed "Briefing." Either way, it's still just as laggy as it was before, so if you want to disable it, follow these instructions, (the method is different for the Galaxy S6):
  1. Long press on the home screen
  2. Scroll to the Briefing panel on the far left
  3. Uncheck the checkbox at the top
Take a screenshot on your Samsung Galaxy S6 display - There are two methods, and once you have succeeded, your screen-cap will show up in your notification bar where you can share or edit it.
  1. Swipe your palm across the whole display
  2. Press and hold the Power and Home buttons at the same time
Use "Do Not Disturb" mode to silence your phone when needed - One of the big head scratchers from Google was when they basically over-complicated the "Do Not Disturb" function and renamed it "Priority Mode." Samsung actually renamed this feature back to "Do Not Disturb," although it still requires you to set it manually. You just have to go to Settings >Sounds and notifications and set it up the way you want to. Handily, you can set it up on a schedule to enable the mode automatically for a specified time each day.

Reboot your Galaxy S6 even though it doesn't have a removable battery - One of the more unpopular decisions (at least amongst some folks) that Samsung made with the new Galaxy S6 is that the battery is no longer removable. This leaves some folks worried that if their phone locks up or freezes, they will be stuck and need to go to repair center. Luckily, there is an option that should offer peace of mind in this situation. You can do a soft reset with the device. That operation is performed by pressing and holding the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time for 10 seconds. Eventually the phone will power itself off and then you can "cold-boot" it.

Activate and Setup Ultra Power-Saving Mode - If you are in the unenviable position of not being able to charge your phone, but needing to get a few basic uses out of it as it nears zero battery life, there is a power saver mode which could assist you. It's called Ultra Power Saving Mode and it can get a few uses out of a tiny fraction of battery life. You can only take calls, send messages and use a select few apps in this mode, but it could be useful in an emergency. This mode switches to a black and white interface and turns off most background services. When you battery gets low, it will even pop up asking if you want to activate it. You can also activate it from the battery settings menu.

These are just a few of the handy features found on the Galaxy S6 (& S6 Edge), but we want to hear any awesome tips and tricks you guys have figured out (or found on the web) so post them here!

This post was created in our dedicated Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge section and promoted to the news section. Here is that main section for further discussion: Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge General Discussions Android Forum at DroidForums.net

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Hey, is there a way for an average user to submit news? I just got a text today from Verizon- apparently they're taking early upgrades to the S6 and S6 Edge for some customers if you trade in your old device :) might be cool info for some people.

I'm just sad that I don't have that money right now and will have to end up waiting for my upgrade date in July >_>. So sad that I have to wait for full time checks again once my semester ends haha.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Hey Ryan, our resident News Guru is DGStorm, so you're welcome to pm him a link to the story, and he'll post it & recognize you in the thread for finding it. Or if it's simply a smaller FYI type news story, search the forum first to see if anyone has posted a thread on it already.....if not, start a new thread in the appropriate sub forum.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to any of our staff members and we'll be happy to give you a hand.

S5 tap'n

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Hey, is there a way for an average user to submit news? I just got a text today from Verizon- apparently they're taking early upgrades to the S6 and S6 Edge for some customers if you trade in your old device :) might be cool info for some people.

I'm just sad that I don't have that money right now and will have to end up waiting for my upgrade date in July >_>. So sad that I have to wait for full time checks again once my semester ends haha.
Or you can post here if you wish.

Droid Forums Member News Depot Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Reactions: cr6

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Hey Ryan, our resident News Guru is DGStorm, so you're welcome to pm him a link to the story, and he'll post it & recognize you in the thread for finding it. Or if it's simply a smaller FYI type news story, search the forum first to see if anyone has posted a thread on it already.....if not, start a new thread in the appropriate sub forum.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to any of our staff members and we'll be happy to give you a hand.

S5 tap'n

Thank you very much for your reply! :D

Actually, I think I stupidly misread Verizon's text-- they were just trying to get me to join the Verizon Edge program (I just do a standard 2 year contract). I misread it as a deal for the Galaxy S6 Edge, silly me! ;)