Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8"

kc_hubbs

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I hope it's okay to just jump right in like this.

I bought my niece a Galaxy tab 4 8' last year for her birthday(shes 6). A couple weeks ago her, and her friends were using the tablet for while, and it started having problems they said.

They brought it to me to ask for my help. When I got the tablet "s voice" kept popping up, about every 5 or 6 seconds. I tested the home button, and it still worked. Then, before i got a chance to try anything else the battery died, and the tablet will not take charge anymore.

I tried the charger on all of tablets, and it worked fine, and I tried one of my chargers on it, and it still wont charge.

Anyone have any suggestions for me ?

Thanks.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry to hear that, what a bummer. How long have you let it sit on a known good charger?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
When you say it won't take a charge, do you mean even though you charge it it won't power back on? If that's the case try holding the power button for about 20-30 seconds and see if it powers back up, assuming you've kept the charger plugged in for at least an hour.
My Tab gets a hiccup every now and then where it freezes, tries to reboot itself but freezes in the reboot, giving the impression it's dead, worm food, pushing up daisies, not even showing it's charging, etc. Holding the power button for that lengthy time forces a soft reset, which is like a dump of all processes and the like but you don't lose any non temp data. Anything she was working on will lose its temporary data but it should also stop that s voice keeps popping up. If it powers up but s voice keeps repeating the bug post back and we can look for what's going on with that.
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
K

kc_hubbs

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I left it on a good charger overnight. I actually have 3 of these tablets that are identical, the other 2 show a battery with a charge indicator (if charging with the power off), but this one just stays black. No indication that it is charging at all.

IF i can get it to boot up again, I can do some more troubleshooting.

I really appreciate all the help.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have a Tab 4 10" and have never had to try this, but do they still have the same steps for Recovery Menu?

1. With the device off, press and hold the “Volume Up“, “Home“, and “Power” buttons.Release the buttons when you see the recovery screen and the Samsung logo.

2. Use the volume buttons to navigate the menu

I don't know if that still works, or would even help? I am familiar with the Recovery Menu on Motorola devices but not as familiar with Samsung devices.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Tab 4 10" and have never had to try this, but do they still have the same steps for Recovery Menu?

1. With the device off, press and hold the “Volume Up“, “Home“, and “Power” buttons.Release the buttons when you see the recovery screen and the Samsung logo.

2. Use the volume buttons to navigate the menu

I don't know if that still works, or would even help? I am familiar with the Recovery Menu on Motorola devices but not as familiar with Samsung devices.

That's where I was planning on going if it's just frozen. My wife's iPhone acted the same way week before last, suddenly freezing and shut off. In that case, and with Apple products in general, it's hold the power button and home button simultaneously for 20-30 seconds to get the same soft reset then go after cause if needed.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
K

kc_hubbs

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sorry for the long delay. Work has kept me super busy.

Im beginning to suspect that this may be a broken usb issue. My young niece used another tablet and after a few days the same thing happened. Her mother said she was charging it while playing it when the issues happened.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sorry for the long delay. Work has kept me super busy.

Im beginning to suspect that this may be a broken usb issue. My young niece used another tablet and after a few days the same thing happened. Her mother said she was charging it while playing it when the issues happened.
Unfortunately the USB jack, although designed to be able to accept many tens of thousands of removal and insertion are not designed to withstand constant pressure during use. Using the device while it's connected to the charger can result in undue stress on the wires where they enter the plug eventually causing them to break, as well as distortion of the socket and loosening of the socket from the motherboard solder contacts. In either case the result is either intermittent charging or complete failure to charge. Sometimes if the charging is intermittent, applying slight pressure up, down or sideways on the plug will result in a connection and charging will begin. This is clear evidence of a contact issue in the socket.

These are portable battery operated devices and so they are really most portable while operating on the battery alone. The issue arises when the duration of use exceeds the battery capacity and so people will plug them in while using them. That is not to say they weren't designed to be able to be used while charging but in that case care must be taken to make sure that the plug/socket union is not under stress from cord pulling or pressure on the plug. Often people, and especially children don't typically pay much mind to this and the result is failed connections.

Your only solution may be to have the tablet professionally serviced.