Samsung Galaxy S3 is Made Up Of Polycarbonate Not Plastic

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
sammys3.jpeg

The single biggest complaint about Samsung's Galaxy SIII has been that it felt plasticy. Those that are concerned about the build quality and cheap plastic feel can rest easy because Samsung have cleared up the issue once and for all. Phonearena inquired about the construction of the SGSIII and it's use of plastic on the handsets battery door. After a long wait the South Korean Company came forward and explained that the handset is in fact made up of a polycarbonate battery cover. They go on to explain:

Polycarbonate is used on the battery cover. Polycarbonate is lightweight, solid and is already being widely used in the mobile industry. It was chosen as the best material to represent the minimal organic design of GALAXY S III. Using three layers of high quality, pure and clear polycarbonate, not only is the phone’s aesthetic elevated, but the durability and scratch resistance is maximized.

Polycarbonate is one of those strange materials that cannot be differentiated from plastic when handling it. Some users still may come away feeling that the handset is too plasticy, but they can be rest assured it's not cheap and will withstand some abuse. It may look and feel like plastic but it is actually 300 times stronger, but don't get any ideas of taking a hammer to the handset , it's not that indestructible.

Does Samsung's confirmation of this information change your opinion of the handset, or are you still unimpressed and want that ceramic casing that was rumored a couple of months ago?

Source: Phonearena

Last edited by a moderator:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I've never had an issue with the design of it. I do like that its polycarbonate though. My current glasses have plastic lenses and are rubbish. My new ones coming are polycarbonate and are supposed to be lighter and much stronger.

BigZig

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong i know the difference between thermoplastics and polycarbonate. But polycarbonate is just another form of plastic. Better form of plastic but still plastic. Maybe thats why people say it feels like plastic.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong i know the difference between thermoplastics and polycarbonate. But polycarbonate is just another form of plastic. Better form of plastic but still plastic. Maybe thats why people say it feels like plastic.

a rose by any other name is still a rose. :biggrin:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
People will complain no matter what. People complain about metal phones, they complain about glass phones, they complain about plastic phones, AND they complain about polycarbonate phones (what the plastic-backed iPhones used as well as the Galaxy SIII).

I say "build 'em all out of anodized aluminum". If someone thinks 6oz or so is "too heavy" for a phone, well, I laugh at them.

EDIT: CD's and DVD's are also made of polycarbonate. So it is indeed not hard to break or scratch it. Just harder than some other plastics such as acrylic.

Last edited:

JohnnytheK

Reaction score

Thank you, polycarbonate is a plastic. I very strong ductile plastic but still a plastic.

geoff5093

Reaction score
The unibody white MacBook's are made out of polycarbonate, and I can assure you they still scratch very easily. Now aluminum on the other hand...

2ns

Reaction score
I prefer metal but "plastic" guns hold up and are pretty popular so a phone will too!