Samsung is Planning to Bring Forth More 'Premium' Line of Metal Galaxy F Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-product-backing.png

If this recent rumor is accurate, the Galaxy S series isn't "premium" enough for Samsung. Apparently, Samsung got sick of the barbs thrown at them suggesting they make "cheap plastic" devices (not our perspective). Regardless of the validity of this judgement, some new intel indicates Sammy wants to take things to a whole new level of high-end. According to the leaked intel, Samsung plans to announce a new "premium" line of metal encased Galaxy F products sometime next year. Industry speculation suggests these devices might also include the new plastic-based flex display technology, making for a double-whammy of premium hardware.

If you think about it, it's a bit ironic really, or at least a bit twisted. Samsung will turn their case from plastic to metal and their display from glass to plastic, all in a bid to make their device feel more premium. Isn't the idea of premium a bit subjective anyway? What do you guys think?

Source: BGR

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of the plastic feel and I like my phones naked. That's why I love my bionic!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Can't wait to see what they come up with. If the Note 3 is any indication of a new direction they're taking hardware wise then I'm in. This F series sounds like it's going to be great

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Sounds enticing. I'd be equally as interested in a CDMA model of their "Active" rugged line device. I've hesitated to get a Galaxy because even though I'm really careful with my mobile devices I've seen too many Galaxy phones with cracked screens (usually from only one drop). :shocked-b:

NOVICE

Reaction score
Don't like metal. Had various DROIDs and I've been there.

I like the "yield" of plastic. Am exclusively Samsung Note series at this point and with a light, thin case doesn't feel cheap to me.

_33

Reaction score
I prefer the plastic, to be honest. Plastic seems to take the drops better than metal. While metal is stronger, in some senses, once it dings or dents that's it. Maybe they should look into polymer. More specifically Nylon 6. It's close to what they make Glock frames out of. It's light, super strong and would be damn near invincible for a phone.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I prefer the plastic, to be honest. Plastic seems to take the drops better than metal. While metal is stronger, in some senses, once it dings or dents that's it. Maybe they should look into polymer. More specifically Nylon 6. It's close to what they make Glock frames out of. It's light, super strong and would be damn near invincible for a phone.

Man the Glock polymer would rock! Very strong indeed.

acousticshade

Reaction score
For a drop, the material needs to be able to either take the stress or deflect. Metal (depending on the thickness) has a much higher strength, but a much smaller allowable deflection before it bends. Plastic, on the other hand, bends a lot farther before permanent damage is done.

A good phone frame can benefit from both materials. I think it's good to have metal around glass parts to be able to take a good shock, especially because glass has a higher rigidity than plastic. A plastic back makes sense though, because for a metal back to be effective, it would be quite heavy.

Higher end carbon fiber/kevlar products are cool, but probably add a bit of cost and the manufacturer takes a risk using them. If the advertising/better build quality works, they sell more phones & potentially make more profit. If not though, they lose on every phone because the market is so tight right now.