Samsung Galaxy S3 is Made Up Of Polycarbonate Not Plastic

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, May 21, 2012.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

The single biggest complaint about Samsung's Galaxy SIII has been that it felt plasticy. Those that are concerned about the build quality and cheap plastic feel can rest easy because Samsung have cleared up the issue once and for all. Phonearena inquired about the construction of the SGSIII and it's use of plastic on the handsets battery door. After a long wait the South Korean Company came forward and explained that the handset is in fact made up of a polycarbonate battery cover. They go on to explain:

Polycarbonate is one of those strange materials that cannot be differentiated from plastic when handling it. Some users still may come away feeling that the handset is too plasticy, but they can be rest assured it's not cheap and will withstand some abuse. It may look and feel like plastic but it is actually 300 times stronger, but don't get any ideas of taking a hammer to the handset , it's not that indestructible.

Does Samsung's confirmation of this information change your opinion of the handset, or are you still unimpressed and want that ceramic casing that was rumored a couple of months ago?

Source: Phonearena
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2012
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I've never had an issue with the design of it. I do like that its polycarbonate though. My current glasses have plastic lenses and are rubbish. My new ones coming are polycarbonate and are supposed to be lighter and much stronger.
  3. BigZig

BigZig New Member

Don't get me wrong i know the difference between thermoplastics and polycarbonate. But polycarbonate is just another form of plastic. Better form of plastic but still plastic. Maybe thats why people say it feels like plastic.
  4. ntrddragn

ntrddragn New Member

a rose by any other name is still a rose. :biggrin:
  5. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

People will complain no matter what. People complain about metal phones, they complain about glass phones, they complain about plastic phones, AND they complain about polycarbonate phones (what the plastic-backed iPhones used as well as the Galaxy SIII).

I say "build 'em all out of anodized aluminum". If someone thinks 6oz or so is "too heavy" for a phone, well, I laugh at them.

EDIT: CD's and DVD's are also made of polycarbonate. So it is indeed not hard to break or scratch it. Just harder than some other plastics such as acrylic.
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
  6. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

Thank you, polycarbonate is a plastic. I very strong ductile plastic but still a plastic.
  7. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

The unibody white MacBook's are made out of polycarbonate, and I can assure you they still scratch very easily. Now aluminum on the other hand...
  8. 2ns

2ns New Member

I prefer metal but "plastic" guns hold up and are pretty popular so a phone will too!
  9. mcjonesy

mcjonesy New Member

Even plastic guns are metal where it counts.
  10. 2ns

2ns New Member

I doubt the innards of the S3 are plastic or this like that phantom ceramic glock that will pass thru metal detectors!
Search tags for this page
can samsung s3 go through metal detectors
can the galaxy s3 pass through metal detector

galaxy s3 cheap plastic

galaxy s3 polycarbonate

how can you get a galaxys3 passed a metal detector
how to get a samsung galaxy s3 through a metal detector

is the galaxy s3 made of plastic

polycarbonate galaxy s3
polycarbonate s3
s3 plastic not metal

samsung galaxy s3 polycarbonate