Samsung Demos Rollable OLED Prototype Display

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It looks like Samsung is getting close to the bendable smartphones of the future. Above is a video demo of a Samsung made OLED prototype display. As is obvious, this tech is more than just flexible and bendable, it is actually demonstrated rolling like a sheet of wallpaper.

It's probable this tech will make its debut in smartphones and other mobile devices, but eventually we can expect to see flexible displays gracing walls, refrigerators, billboards, windows and more. We may one day be surrounded by constantly moving visual advertisements throughout our city environments. What do you folks think of that possibility?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I can see a "tape measure" display being something more useful to transform a "typical" 5.5" diagonal smartphone display in portrait orientation into a quasi-tablet in landscape orientation when extended or "unrolled" from the side. That would be neat for watching videos as well as for working on spreadsheets. You could also turn it for reading e-books, Bring it on, Samsung!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I can see a "tape measure" display being something more useful to transform a "typical" 5.5" diagonal smartphone display in portrait orientation into a quasi-tablet in landscape orientation when extended or "unrolled" from the side. That would be neat for watching videos as well as for working on spreadsheets. You could also turn it for reading e-books, Bring it on, Samsung!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Good points. Other than that, I can't see something like this being practical for everyday use. Still, the more things like this we see, the better the chances of getting some kind of new form factor for devices.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Imagine an E-Reader the size of a fat pencil?
I'm not carrying that in my pocket. Guess it's a matter of how you commute/etc. If I rode a bus or train to work and carried a bag, that'd be great, but I don't.

Good use case for the tech though.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Imagine that it's small enough to fit behind your ear? WHo COULDN'T commute with that. IMAGINE dude.

It's like...it's like...
ujUdrdpX7Ok5W.gif

Redbaron134

Reaction score
Bendable displays means no broken glass so even if they use the technology for nothing more than a smartphone screen there are advantages. Love to see what they come up with.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Imagine an E-Reader the size of a fat pencil?
Imagine staying in a hotel with a crappy, if any view, and being able to "change the channel" on your window to a beautiful one. I don't remember the name of the movie (maybe tv show?) but I saw it once where they were able to change the view from their giant picture (literally) window. To be able to do that with even bay windows would be pretty neat. Put a solar panel/battery unit (between the panels) on the reverse side and it'd be able to power itself.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Bendable displays means no broken glass so even if they use the technology for nothing more than a smartphone screen there are advantages. Love to see what they come up with.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
You mean like the Motorola Droid Turbo 2?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Imagine staying in a hotel with a crappy, if any view, and being able to "change the channel" on your window to a beautiful one. I don't remember the name of the movie (maybe tv show?) but I saw it once where they were able to change the view from their giant picture (literally) window. To be able to do that with even bay windows would be pretty neat. Put a solar panel/battery unit (between the panels) on the reverse side and it'd be able to power itself.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
To get the full realistic effect it would have to be a true 3D display that is viewable without glasses (like the HTC EVO 3D).

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
Yea but it wouldn't need to bend like that.

Sent from Turbo II

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yea but it wouldn't need to bend like that.

Sent from Turbo II
But it could be done. Bay windows now are basically square windows rounded to an outward bow. With the rollable product a bay window could be 1 curved glass, with or without scene change ability. Add in the technology to flat windows and they could be curved slightly inward to give a broader field of depth more like a real scene.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
This can already be done with existing tech. The problem is it would be prohibitively expensive.

Sent from Turbo II

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This can already be done with existing tech. The problem is it would be prohibitively expensive.

Sent from Turbo II
Again, unless it's 3D and live it wouldn't be all that exciting as far as I'm concerned. Who would want to look at two dimensional static images on their "windows"?