Samsung Crashes iPhone 4S Launch Party in Australia by Selling $2 SGS2s Next Door

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-gsii-sydney.jpg

Now, this is the way you compete with someone in the marketplace! You don't need to try and annihilate them with ridiculous lawsuits. You setup shop right next door to their launch party and outsell them with a better product and amazing prices. That is exactly what Samsung recently did to Apple in Australia. Apparently, Samsung opened up a store right next door to Apple's big iPhone 4S launch location in Australia during their launch block party. Not only that, but they offered a crazy special on the Galaxy SII. The promo was the first ten customers each day until Friday, get the Galaxy S II for just $2 without a contract!

The marketing campaign actually worked like gang-busters. Reports are that the lines for the Samsung store are longer than for the Apple store. Take lessons Apple, this is the way free enterprise is supposed to work...

Source: GalaxyForums.net via Engadget

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
What would be even funnier is if their kiosk ripped-off Apple's store design...."Oh, look, Apple set-up an outside kiosk to help with the lines!"

Samsung rep: "I'm not saying this IS the IPhone4S, but I'm not saying it isn't, either"

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
$2 bucks without a contract?? Wow, go get one and sell it on ebay!

Only the first 10 customers each day....Classic bait-and-switch....So Samsung probably has to sell 10 phones each day on contract to make-up the loss on the 10 they give away, unless of course they're just clearing excess inventory.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only the first 10 customers each day....Classic bait-and-switch....So Samsung probably has to sell 10 phones each day on contract to make-up the loss on the 10 they give away, unless of course they're just clearing excess inventory.

But it's a Samsung, not a carrier... unless there is only one carrier in that market, I don't think they can offer on-contract, just full price...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's the real question, why would the line be any longer than 10 people? If only the first 10 people get the deal, it makes absolutely no sense for anyone else to get in line and wait for nothing........just sayin

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's between now and Friday... I just want to be one of the first 30 people, assuming I can camp there for the next 3 days...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Here's the real question, why would the line be any longer than 10 people? If only the first 10 people get the deal, it makes absolutely no sense for anyone else to get in line and wait for nothing........just sayin

Because most of them probably think they're in line for an IPhone....Duuuuuhhhhhh!

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I should offer everyone in line free "Droid Rebels". I think I could then have them promote for me and the phone will practically sell itself after that. Free advertising baby!

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like this, I like a true face off of the two companies. I think both companies have taken the court issues too far and just need to let the tech do the talking now. I still blame the patent system for their dispute though.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I should offer everyone in line free "Droid Rebels". I think I could then have them promote for me and the phone will practically sell itself after that. Free advertising baby!

I don't think you need to convince anyone to get a Rebel. That's a no brainer