Samsung Busted for Paying People to Criticize HTC Products

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Apple paid me enough, I'd even find something good to say about the iPhone. I might even post it from an Android device. Lol!

I'll do it for free.
Thanks to the iPhone Windows Mobile isn't the best thing going now. It's Android.
Thanks to ios, Android isn't resting on Gingerbread as its greatest update.
Thanks to iPhone I can appreciate the freedom to widget my phone even more than I could on my Omnia.
Thanks to Apple suing Samsung , and winning, Samsung countered with the Galaxy and Note series.
Thanks to iPhone, this forum exists as a haven from the arrogance of iSheep . Though aSheep can be just as arrogant at times , thanks to iPhone we learned to squash fanboyism at its introduction.
I could go on.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

acousticshade

Reaction score
I've always taught my kids to read between the lines of reviews more than the lines themselves. Reviews have certain languages, just like politicians, that a little discernment can show what they're really saying.
One time my oldest daughter was looking for a phone and reading reviews. She said she didn't want a particular model because some reviews said it wasn't durable. I got her to read down further into user comments and without fail they'd meant that the phone didn't hold up well to being thrown against a wall, dropped from a moving vehicle when left on top, after a swim in the porcelain throne, etc according to their comments.
I've shown them how to read "bs speak" as well for glowing reviews.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

They are usually easy to spot. They tend to use words like all or always or never or bash on a typical strength of a particular product. I usually laugh when I read 10 comments on how great a screen is and then read one that totally bashes it.

acousticshade

Reaction score
Just keep making these Note series.. You won't need to pay us for reviews :eek:.. Hehe

As stated b4 they all do it... Sammy got caught..

Here's more samples..

http://bgr.com/2013/10/25/fake-bbm-ratings-blackberry-statement/

N3 tapa

Dodger, I don't doubt that a lot of manufacturers do this, but 2 examples does not equate to all. Also, it is illegal, so hopefully a good conscience, fear of public backlash or fear of a fine keep at least a few manufacturers honest. Nevertheless, I'd love more links of astroturfing to add to my wall of shame.

Jackseric

Reaction score
I truly hope that nobody on this forum is naive enough to believe that all manufacturers don't do this on one level or another. It's smart marketing on their part. Sucks for the dopey consumer that puts too much faith in the wild west of internet product reviews, but it's a fact of life.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Between this and KNOX, I've seen enough to determine that my next device definitely won't be made my Sammy.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dodger, I don't doubt that a lot of manufacturers do this, but 2 examples does not equate to all. Also, it is illegal, so hopefully a good conscience, fear of public backlash or fear of a fine keep at least a few manufacturers honest. Nevertheless, I'd love more links of astroturfing to add to my wall of shame.

Sure it's illegal, but again, I don't see much difference between that and sending excessive amounts of new gear to reviewers and tech sites that after "trying out" they're allowed to keep, and doing this multiple times per year. That's a big part of why sites like CNet, Engadget, and others are viewed as having a bias towards Apple. Taking that into consideration, it is pretty dirty in the end though, especially when we're talking about a powerhouse like Samsung putting the screws to a company like HTC that may be on the brink of collapsing if they don't show some steady numbers.

taz1458

Reaction score
How on earth do you go about being a reviewer? I'll more then happily take free devices. Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

acousticshade

Reaction score
Sure it's illegal, but again, I don't see much difference between that and sending excessive amounts of new gear to reviewers and tech sites that after "trying out" they're allowed to keep, and doing this multiple times per year. That's a big part of why sites like CNet, Engadget, and others are viewed as having a bias towards Apple. Taking that into consideration, it is pretty dirty in the end though, especially when we're talking about a powerhouse like Samsung putting the screws to a company like HTC that may be on the brink of collapsing if they don't show some steady numbers.

That's a well known problem with Apple from what I understand & I'm not sure which other manufacturers. Not all reviewers get to keep the devices though. I've read quite a few reviews where they talk about having to send the product back when they are done. Not sure there are any rules to it but there should be.