S4 getting slow, lagging

davidwilp

Reaction score
My son keeps complaining that his S4 has gotten "slow", "lagging", "glitchy". Basically not as responsive as it used to be. What I can I suggest he do if anything to remedy this? IS the only choice to do a factory reset? Will that even work? Thanks in advance for advice.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
A factory data reset will remedy that problem most of the time. The only time it wouldn't is if there is a hardware failure.

Some things to look at before hand would be how many processes are running in the background.

Maybe an app has had a brain fart and is consuming too much power.

Are there a bunch of photos and music on the phone?

Is an SDCard being used. The S4 was infamous for having SDCard issues. If so, remove it and see how the phone reacts. If it reacts better with it removed you copy all of the contents over to your PC and then format the card inside of the phone afterwards and then move the data back.

I typically don't try to trouble shoot any of my devices. If one of them acts up I make a backup of all of my data using Samsung Kies on the PC and them wipe it immediately. Afterwards I simply restore from the backup that I made.

It is so much easier than trying to chase down gremlins.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ollie's advice is pretty much exactly what I'd suggest. If he's had the device even remotely close to as along as it's been out, even if you do the smaller steps that Ollie outlined, you'll fine better results from a reset if it's a software issue (usually is).

I reset my s4 a couple weeks before I got the Note 4 and it made a world of difference. There have been several updates to the OS since the phone launched and it's really a good idea to do a reset after each upgrade (or at least the "big" ones), to ensure that everything still plays nice together.

I think the "optimizing apps" popup you get when the device first boots up after having installed an update is supposed to help curb some of those issues, but you'll still run into them.

So, in short, there's nothing wrong with trying Ollie's advice, but I'd recommend a factory reset anyway. Doesn't take that long and it'll be on him to set the device back up, but it's nice to get a fresh start with a device, especially, as I said, if it's been around for a while.

OP
D

davidwilp

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate it. One question though. I thought if you do a factory reset it will reset the phone with the original OS and all original. Then will he have to or be able to get the updates again?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate it. One question though. I thought if you do a factory reset it will reset the phone with the original OS and all original. Then will he have to or be able to get the updates again?
It keeps any os updates that have been installed, but otherwise wipes everything & makes the phone like new. He'll have to sign in again & download his apps.

As I said before, it's like a fresh start. Some people find it cumbersome to set the phone back up similar to how they had it, but it's a small price to pay when it fixes lag & other issues.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Nah... We love pennies. In fact, we send them through presses and imprint them with images and sayings and keep them as souvenirs!! :D

IMG_0441.jpg

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
My son keeps complaining that his S4 has gotten "slow", "lagging", "glitchy". Basically not as responsive as it used to be.
Haven't seen an update to the issue - I had some of that before.

Just for the heck of it, Try this step that might help.

Settings/System/Developer/Drawing/Window Animation Scale/Animation is Off

Do the same to Transition & Animator Duration settings.
Screen shot 3 view 640x-15,04,15 9AM.png

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
There ya go, spanky new electrons.