Lockscreen Lag on Liberty 1.5

chris.heko

Reaction score
Am I missing something? My lockscreen has always lagged. Even in GummyJar, unless I change the Animations setting to "No Animations", which I'd rather not do, as there are too many great animations...Is there a remedy for this?? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Have you tried different CPU profiles with overclocking utilities? I suspect the lag is due to the CPU being drastically underclocked while on the lockscreen until you go to unlock it. Just a hunch...

OP
C

chris.heko

Reaction score
lockscreen lag

Have you tried different CPU profiles with overclocking utilities? I suspect the lag is due to the CPU being drastically underclocked while on the lockscreen until you go to unlock it. Just a hunch...

That sounds like a possible problem but I am running stock speed and voltage and have never actually messed with the overclock settings. Are you suggesting that I try to overclock it to fix the lag? May I ask if your phones lockscreen lags without overclocking? Thanks for.the quick response!

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
No, I'm not saying you need to overclock. I'm saying you need to override the default power-saving features.

As you may or may not know, when your phone is idle, even with the stock ROM, it underclocks your CPU to save battery life. There are various algorithms that control how aggressively it tries to save battery life. It is these algorithms that I'm suggestion you change. If you use SetCPU, there is a "Scaling" option that helps control this. Other tools may call it different things.

Personally, I wouldn't want to sacrifice significant battery life in order to make my lock screen less laggy. But if you really want to, you have the ability to make this sort of change. Again, this does no overclocking of your CPU - this only changes the algorithm that your phone uses to determine how aggressively it wants to underclock your CPU to save battery life.

OP
C

chris.heko

Reaction score
Good call, I'll reinstall setcpu & see what happens. Also curious if any others have lag there regularly. Thanks for your input and advice!

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I actually am using Linear, which has invisible sliders. So if it lags, it's impossible to know. :)

Not necessarily true. The lag the OP mentions can also slow down the actual "unlocking" to the homescreen.

@ the OP.....do you have any programs/apps running at the time you try to unlock?

Example, there is a game I play online on my phone. Some times I have to put my phone down for a minute (agony, I know :p) in the meantime, the screen times out. When I go to turn on the screen and unlock it, there is a terrible lag. As long as 5 seconds occasionally. But I think thats because it goes right back into the game, not to the homescreen.

Does this happen ALL the time? Or just time to time?

OP
C

chris.heko

Reaction score
Lockscreen lag woes

I actually am using Linear, which has invisible sliders. So if it lags, it's impossible to know. :)

Not necessarily true. The lag the OP mentions can also slow down the actual "unlocking" to the homescreen.

@ the OP.....do you have any programs/apps running at the time you try to unlock?

Example, there is a game I play online on my phone. Some times I have to put my phone down for a minute (agony, I know :p) in the meantime, the screen times out. When I go to turn on the screen and unlock it, there is a terrible lag. As long as 5 seconds occasionally. But I think thats because it goes right back into the game, not to the homescreen.

No programs are typically running other than standard background services, such as yahoo, facebook, one ongoing app i use called sysmonitor, and watchdog lite. I think it's safe to say 9 times out to 10 it lags when I unlock. However, If I press the power button from the screen being off, (screen lights up) and I wait about 5 seconds before I swipe to unlock, it will not typically lag at all. Almost like the processor has to wake up and realize I need to unlock it. I do understand the game concept or if I were to have several intensive browser tabs running while unlocking after a timeout...But my wifes LG Ally, which runs on a much slower processor as well as RAM, absolutely never lags, never! And it is running the stock ROM, unrooted. I just feel like it is a ROM problem but maybe I have been doing something wrong. I also always had lag with stock ROM, Apex ROM, GummyJar, and now Liberty. The one and only remedy for lockscreen lag was a third party program called lockbot, which never lags, regardless of the situation. Anyway, thanks very much for the input and thoughts!

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

No programs are typically running other than standard background services, such as yahoo, facebook, one ongoing app i use called sysmonitor, and watchdog lite. I think it's safe to say 9 times out to 10 it lags when I unlock. However, If I press the power button from the screen being off, (screen lights up) and I wait about 5 seconds before I swipe to unlock, it will not typically lag at all. Almost like the processor has to wake up and realize I need to unlock it. I do understand the game concept or if I were to have several intensive browser tabs running while unlocking after a timeout...But my wifes LG Ally, which runs on a much slower processor as well as RAM, absolutely never lags, never! And it is running the stock ROM, unrooted. I just feel like it is a ROM problem but maybe I have been doing something wrong. I also always had lag with stock ROM, Apex ROM, GummyJar, and now Liberty. The one and only remedy for lockscreen lag was a third party program called lockbot, which never lags, regardless of the situation. Anyway, thanks very much for the input and thoughts!

Hmm :(
I'm sorry to hear that, especially that it even did/does the lagging on the stock Moto ROM.
It would be premature of me to say it sounds like a hardware issue, but it seems like thats the path most taken when evidence like which you provided is given. Multiple ROMS, no excessive programs/apps running and it still happens.
Not sure what your situation is with returning the X for another one, but its probably out of the scope now since you mentioned you've been on several ROMs. I'm definitely not stating you're a n00b because you present yourself with valid concerns.
But I suspect it could very well be hardware related. It has definitely been an issue over the course of Motorola products. On my D1, I had the best of luck. I could run any ROM, any kernel, overclock it to ridiculous speeds...no issues whatsoever. My best friend got the same phone, same day, same store. Brand spankin new...nothing but issues with his.

I hope some others can chime in here and offer some potential helping advice cuz I'm at a loss right now.

OP
C

chris.heko

Reaction score
Hmm :(
I'm sorry to hear that, especially that it even did/does the lagging on the stock Moto ROM.
It would be premature of me to say it sounds like a hardware issue, but it seems like thats the path most taken when evidence like which you provided is given. Multiple ROMS, no excessive programs/apps running and it still happens.
Not sure what your situation is with returning the X for another one, but its probably out of the scope now since you mentioned you've been on several ROMs. I'm definitely not stating you're a n00b because you present yourself with valid concerns.
But I suspect it could very well be hardware related. It has definitely been an issue over the course of Motorola products. On my D1, I had the best of luck. I could run any ROM, any kernel, overclock it to ridiculous speeds...no issues whatsoever. My best friend got the same phone, same day, same store. Brand spankin new...nothing but issues with his.

I hope some others can chime in here and offer some potential helping advice cuz I'm at a loss right now.

This is my second X actually. Replaced my first one by flashing the sbf for 2.1 after having 2.2.1 installed which resulted in error codes in the bootloader, errors that I could have fixed by flashing the correct sbf, but I stumped the verizon rep with the error code and he blamed it on an OTA update. No evidence of rooting that way.. New phone the next day. Ha! :icon_ banana:

Last edited: